My Turn

BOBBY:

BOBBY:

I was sitting on the couch with Alexis. Jordan disappeared into her room about some time ago.

Alexis and I both were on the phone with our grandmother.

"So that's the plan. I want to see my grandbabies.", My grandma tells us through the phone.

I personally didn't have a tight relationship with my Grandma—but I do have a lot of memories anytime we visited. That being said, Alexis was navigating the conversation more than me.

"Granny of course, I personally wish I knew sooner though. Tuesday is literally in two days. Are you sure that's the date?", Alexis asked.

"I'm old but I'm not that old Chile", Grandma says, "Tuesday is the day because by time thanksgiving comes—I'll be getting my surgery. Lord knows your mother ain't rattling some pots".

"I understand that Granny—but still why so soon? Thanksgiving isn't until like three weeks", Alexis questions.

"I've had this planned since last month. It's soon because I want to see you three. I want to see You, Rayna, and my little Bobby—is that so hard to ask for?", Grandma replies.

I was in a nonverbal agreement with Alexis—I didn't know why my grandmother was eager to see us before thanksgiving.

The only thought I could think of wasn't a good one. I'm sure Alexis was thinking the same because her energy was a little tense.

"Well okay Granny—you sure you're okay though? I'll come Tuesday but I also want to come around the time of your surgery", Alexis inputs.

"Let's just focus on Tuesday Boobie. Your mom should be off work by Tuesday morning—meaning you guys should be leaving tomorrow morning", Grandma said.

"Noted—is it anything we need to bring? I'm still caught off guard by all of this", Alexis says.

"Word", I commented.

My grandma spoke, "I don't understand why both Rachel and Rochelle didn't say anything.", Grandma complained, using both of our mothers' government names.

"I mean I haven't talked to Mommy since I came out here", Alexis admits.

Damn, I thought to myself.

"What do you mean you haven't spoken to her since you've been out there? Anytime I asked her—she told me she has spoken to you ", Grandma explained to Alexis.

"I mean if that's what she wants to tell you. I'm not tripping about it though Grams", Alexis says.

"No no no, I am not liking that. How could you guys go almost four months without speaking?", Grandma fussed.

Alexis and my aunt Rachel's relationship was so indifferent. Although I am the youngest, I knew that their bond was a little off.

I heard It used to be a time when Aunt Rachel and Alexis lived out here. That was a while ago though. I was a baby at that time.