The Bigger Picture

ALEXIS:

ALEXIS:

"I'm sorry that people hurt you", Jordan says while embracing me.

Even though there was nothing but silence—those words kept replaying in my head— Over and over, as Jordan and I stayed glued onto each other.

I felt my body become uncomfortably vulnerable. It's like my eyes wanted to water but they couldn't....

I wasn't sure of the reason for this feeling, nor did I understand it.

I wasn't sure why my body wanted to reject her hug. It wasn't a physical rejection, but it was an unwanted feeling that I never felt between Jordan and I.

It didn't make sense, therefore—-I gently ended the hug, as I cleared my throat.

My eyes wouldn't look at Jordan, so I wasn't aware of any reaction from her.

"Uh—It's getting pretty late and uh.. I have an early meeting in the morning with my boss", I say without making any eye contact.

It was a moment of quiet before Jordan's voice appeared...

"Oh..Um..okay—and yeah... I have school. I should head to bed too", Jordan says as she quickly gets up.

Before I could respond back or attempt to apologize...

"Goodnight Alexis", she says.

I watch her semi rush into her room, and then she closes the door.

I palmed my face, realizing how I must have come off as an asshole. I didn't even know why I even reacted that way, it was very unlike me—- and I didn't even have words for myself.

I sighed, and just decided to go off to bed.

***

It was now morning.

I stood in the bathroom mirror, dressed in my usual work attire. I was fixing up my hair that I forgot to prep before bed. I decided to put it up in a bun— one that looked decent enough for work.

My morning was a bit of a rush, mainly because I was heading to my workplace early due to the meeting I had scheduled with Lylani.

I wasn't sure about the results of the meeting, but I was pretty aware it's about the incident that occurred the other day.

I sighed, feeling a bit uneasy about everything. Even with my weird reaction with Jordan last night was still bothering me.

Speaking of her—- she already left for school along with her best friend. I ended up sending Jordan money for an Uber ride to school. I couldn't drive them today due to time management.

Jordan seemed hesitant about accepting the money, however—because of her best friend, she didn't put much of an issue about it.

I knew because of last night, she wasn't really too happy with me. I don't blame her. I still don't have any logical explanation on why I reacted as such. I felt like the biggest jerk.