Chapter 4. The Phantom Thief

25 days till full moon

Three days after I met Kuon, we were traveling on the road towards the castle.

Zelphi: Kuon how much longer till we get there.

Kuon: It's still a long way off, have patience. Anyway do you think we'll win against them

Zelphi: Not at all, my papa lost to them and he was very strong. But if we can gather companions to help us with our quest, we might stand a chance against them.

Kuon: Just who exactly will we ask. If we shout it out, everyone will know were attacking and they might inform the prince.

I walked ahead backwards and smiled at him.

Zelphi: We'll think of something along the way, trust me.

Kuon just sigh and follow after me.

Once we were out of the forest, we went to a nearby town and stayed at the inn. Me and Kuon shared one room that has two bed. This is the first time I shared a room with another guy that isn't my papa, it sort of made me nervous

Kuon: Get all the sleep you can tonight, we will get supplies before we depart tomorrow.

Zelphi: All right!

Once Kuon went to sleep, I poked my head out the window and looked at the crowd of people as they go by. The town was very much like any other town I have visited. There were demons and magical creatures blending in with the humans. But what I find strange about this town is that there is a very big gap between the rich and poor. Most of the rich people here are disguised as demons and the poor people are mostly human. I heard that this town has someone called the phantom thief who steals for the poor. Just as the name suggest, he suddenly appears to steal, then disappears again. I don't usually notice this much about my surrounding when I'm with papa. I guess it goes to show I rely on him too much.

The next morning, as we were buying supplies for our trip,we heard someone yelled, Thief! Then a shadow shot past me with amazing speed. Just then I realize that my ring was missing.

Zelphi: Ah!!!

Kuon: What's wrong?

Zelphi: That person, he stole my scythe, I must get Kurogai back, it was a present from papa.

I started to chase after the thief who swiftly jump from roof to roof. I did my best to follow him but he was too fast and I lost him. Once he was out of sight, Kuon finally caught up to me.

Kuon: Did you find him?

I looked down as I shake my head.

Zelphi: That must've been the phantom thief we heard about. More importantly I have to find my scythe.

Kuon: We could stop by the blacksmith and get a new one.

Zelphi: But I don't want a new one, that scythe is important to me. Besides it's easier to handle with than most weapons because it can be stored as a ring. I'm going to get it back.

After that, me and Kuon searched every corner of this town. Apparently the phantom thief is also good at hiding. When the sun went down, me and Kuon went back to the inn.

Kuon: We should retire for the night and look in the morning.

I nodded and made a very sad face.

The next morning we searched the town, the thief is nowhere to be seen. As I was walking by, I see two children holding a loaf of bread run past me while a big fat man chases them.