john shook his head and tickled his fingers up and down her legs, "you haven't-"

"john," she said firmly turning back to him, she sat up and crossed her legs so she was right beside where he was sat and faced him, "you don't have to say things to me just to keep me content," she put a hand on his arm, "i've been awful to you and i'm really sorry."

johns eyes softened at her, "i get it," he said simply.

"i'm just stressed and i guess i'm kinda scared too," she admitted intertwining their fingers.

"what are you scared of?"

"i'm not really sure if scared is the right word, i'm-"

"nervous?"

she nodded, "i'm so nervous johnny," her bottom lip wobbled, "what if i'm not a good mom, or a good enough wife to you. i've never in my life wanted to be a housewife or follow the fucking norms of society but all of a sudden i'm wondering if i would even be able to do that."

john used his free hand to stroke her cheek, "you can't talk like that pen, you're gonna be my wife but i'm going to be your husband too. and you're gonna be a mum to our baby as much as i'm going to be the dad - we're a team me and you - you're not gonna be alone through any of this." she clung onto every word, "i'm nervous too baby, more than i probably let on."

"you are?" she asked.

"of course i am. i've never had a dad or anything close penny, i don't know even where to start - all i know is that i love you so much, and i love our baby more than you could imagine already."

penelope nodded feeling silly. of course he was nervous.

"you're going to be the best daddy," she said, "i've seen you looking through the catalogues and circling the things you think our baby will like when i haven't even started thinking about that yet."

"and i see how you watch the mums and their kids in the streets penelope - the way that you are with carly, you're already perfection with it all."

penelope bit her cheek absorbing him and then she leaned forward kissing his lips softly, "i really am sorry baby," she mumbled. john just shook his head and slipped his tongue past her lips until they were rudely disrupted by their front door being knocked.

john sighed pulling away and moved to the front door opening it to show charlotte and pete smiling at him from the other side.

"johnny," charlotte greeted him happily throwing her arms around his neck.

"lottieee," he mimicked hugging her back and then pulled back looking down at her stomach, "he's growing quickly," he commented looking back up at pete.

charlottes eyes narrowed, "don't remind me," then she pushed past him and beelined for the front room.

john looked at pete confusedly, "she's scared that if he keeps growing he'll rip her open when she gives birth - even though the midwife said very clearly that he is a perfectly normal size," he shouted the last part so charlotte could hear and she shouted back,

"fuck off pete."

john chuckled at the interaction and pete walked inside the home, "trouble in paradise?" he asked as they walked into the kitchen.