seventy eight

friday 11th september 1959

john

"the crowd seems bigger tonight," penelope informed john as she walked over to him in the dressing room.

"you guys are really becoming the talk of the town," she smiled proudly up to him as he drank from his bottle of beer.

john shrugged, "people in this town just need breaks from their lives and we give it to them."

"i think that's great," she complimented, "you're the highlights of their week, y'know?"

"yeah, its a lot of pressure," he stifled a laugh placing his hand on the small of her back, "but the privilege is nice i suppose," he sighed.

penelope furrowed her eyebrows at his lack of motivation, "hey, what's wrong?" she asked turning her back on the rest of the people in the room - the band and their girls etc - he stared onto the floor.

he shook his head forcing a small smile meeting her eyes, "i'm alright baby," he winked trying to reassure her.

"lads five minutes!" paul shouted from the other side of the room.

"you should probably go find a place to stand," john added finally meeting penelopes eyes.

she nodded, "okay," she bit her lip.

"we'll talk after, okay?"  he reassured her pushing her hair behind her ear, "listen out for our last song, it's real special." she nodded and he bent down connecting their lips for a second making her melt.

"good luck," she whispered as he pulled back, "i love you."

"i love you too."

penelope, charlotte, pattie and jane all walked out into the crowd taking seats at the bar.

penelope couldn't quite invest all of her attention on the band as john looked not as happy as usual and that worried her.

that was until after the majority of the set john began talking down the microphone for the first time all night, "right ladies and gents, we have a bit of a different closer for tonight," he started, "we've decided to scrap our usual cover of good ole buddy and instead use one of our original songs."

the crowd cheered in excitement, penelope hadn't heard much of their original music and so perked up in her seat as johns eyes scoured the audience searching for her, as soon as he located her it seemed as if he released a deep breath.

george began playing some soft chords in the background as john spoke - they usually did whenever anyone spoke - "this song has been in the making for about a month now, and this will be our first time playing it for anyone," the crowd cheered at his words, "i wrote these lyrics a night when i was completely overwhelmed with my life and how happy i was in that moment - and how happy i still am. i want you all to bare in mind this is the first song i've ever written that's meant something to me so it might not be as good as the rest," he laughed, "but it's dedicated to someone who i could never imagine my life without, she is the most beautiful and mindful person i have ever met and, and well i love her," the crowd awed in unison and charlotte nudged penelopes shoulder with wide eyes.