fifty three

continued

penelope

"hello?" the male voice repeated a bit louder when penelope didn't answer.

penelope cleared her throat and managed to squeak a small, "hello."

"uh who's this?" the voice asked.

"i uh, i uhm," she cleared her throat again gaining composure, "my names penelope, is this Caleb Eastman?"

"yes it is. i don't remember any penelopes dear, very sorry could you remind me who you are?" his voice was kind which put penelopes racing heart at ease a small bit.

"uh, actually we've never met," penelope paused thinking to not drop the whole truth over the telephone, "i think you knew someone i knew, sabrina dawson?"

penelope heard his breath hitch and there was a deafening silence overtaking the line.

"brina," he breathed.

"i was wondering if perhaps i could meet you somewhere, to talk?"

"is she okay?" he asked. so innocently and deprived of any knowledge, it made penelopes heart break, a small tear formed in her eye.

"i think it's best i speak to you in person."

he sniffed, "yeah, when?"

"as soon as tomorrow is good for me?"

"yeah that's fine. i can meet you somewhere,"

just after this they organised a meet up at a local cafe, and caleb asked the dreaded question,

"so, how do you know sabrina?"

penelope couldn't tell him over a phone conversation that she was the daughter that the love of his life ran off with. so she lied. like she'd done all her life with his existence.

"i'm her sister," caleb didn't reply, seeming to be skeptical of the answer, but his desperation to know about sabrina overpowered his curiosity and just hummed in response.

once ending the call penelope exhaled a breath she hadn't even realised she'd been holding. she could feel her heart beating against her rib cage and her hands trembled as she slid back down the wall hugging her knees to her chest.

she was scared to meet caleb as sabrina's daughter.

as his daughter.

but she was also scared to tell him the truth about her mother.

he had no clue.

and she hated the thought of being the one who broke his heart like that.

she could hear the emotions in his voice as he called her mum by her nickname.

penelope went to bed that night without any food and a big cry. she hugged her arms tightly around her as she lay in bed, feeling the loneliness envelope her.