fifty four

john

john continued walking out of the bar even after hearing penelopes voice call out to him.

he felt angry, but he felt hurt more than that.

hurt that his best friend would just drop it on him like that.

with no warning.

all for a girl.

he understood stu loved astrid but why couldn't she move here?

john was being selfish but he didn't care. everyone seemed to walk out of his life and it didn't stop just because john had started to become happy in himself and his life.

he walked straight to penelopes car waiting for her to catch up with him.

she held johns jacket in one arm - as she'd picked it up on the way out and her other hand was balled up by her side. she opened her mouth to talk but john cut her off.

"we're not gonna talk about it pen, let's just go," he said it a little harsher than he intended making penelopes face fall slightly. he'd never spoke to her like it before, it may of seemed harmless on the surface and an in the moment situation, but it hurt penelope.

she didn't like his comment and she didn't care one bit about what he'd actually said. she knew if he didn't talk about it, he'd become angrier just building it up like before they were together.

"yeah we are gonna talk about it, and you're not going to talk to me like that when we do it," she threw his jacket to him, "get in the car."

john hadn't expected her to of reacted like that to him. usually everyone would be too scared to say anything to him, to make him talk, nobody cared enough. it made johns heart jump slightly but he didn't do anything.

he walked around to the passenger side and got in. penelope started the car but leaned over into the backseat to pick up a sweater she dropped there a while ago and pulled it over her head before pulling off the car park in silence. as she began driving properly she said, "there's a map in the glovebox, in an hour or two i'll need you to tell me how to get to the motel, it's already circled and whatever."

john just nodded in response.

his hands were in tight fists on his lap and his leg bounced up and down. he looked straight out of the window with a million thoughts running through his brain.

all of those thoughts however, came to a halt as he felt a warm feeling on his leg. he looked down to see penelopes small hand resting on top of his leg just above his knee to calm him down.

she gave him a side glance before taking a breath and retracting her hand not feeling like it was enough to comfort him. john instantly missed her touch but he was far too absorbed in his feelings to say anything about it.

"you need to talk to me john. i'm here for you, don't start hiding from me now."

john sighed looking back out the window, "i've been best friends with stu for so long, he's basically a brother, and he's leaving just because he wants to be with her."