twenty four

john

john slept until ten thirty when he was woken up by mimi.

"come on john. stop wasting away," she said.

when he got up, mimi was already dressed, she asked him if he wanted to go to the florist with her to get flowers for his mums grave. he replied telling her he'd go later on with penelope, which surprised mimi considering he'd not gone since she'd died.

after having breakfast he got changed into some blue jeans with a red and white button up shirt tucked in the top few buttons unbuttoned of course, with it being quite warm outside he didn't bother to grab a jacket, and he set off towards penelopes.

as he reached her apartment door he noticed penelopes front slightly ajar. as he was about to knock penelope swung the door open making him jump.

"oh hi john, i was just about to come and wait outside for you, it's far too stuffy in here," he sighed happily as he'd assumed the worst.

"did you sleep well?" he asked as they walked out of her apartment complex.

"yeah not too bad, you?" she replied as they reached her car, "also where are we going first?"

"like a baby," he smiled, "and could we pop to a florist so i can get some flowers for my mum?"

"of course," with that they both drove to the nearest florist. johns mother happened to be buried at the same graveyard as penelopes, so penelope suggested if he needed some time alone she would go and visit her.

penelope picked out a bouquet of lilies, her mother's favourite, and a single rose for johns mother's grave. her insisting it's only polite to do so. john picked out a bouquet of daisies.

when they were both back in penelopes car, penelope turned her head to him, "are you ready?"

"as ready as i can be," he replied smiling weakly. penelope nodded her head and patted his thigh reassuringly. and off they went.

john felt almost dizzy walking through the gates of the cemetery but penelope grabbing ahold of his hand certainly helped him out. he led her in the direction of his mother's plot. when they neared it john noticed somebody already standing there, it was mimi.

"my aunt mimi is over there, would you like to meet her?" he asked, penelope looked skeptical at first meeting his family and all, but agreed anyway.

they approached the grave which made mimi snap her head up to john as she was on her knees rearranging the flowers and throwing out old ones. she smiled at him and stood up, then noticing the girl stood a few feet behind him.

"hey mimi, i uh, i got these for mum," he passed her the bouquet and she smiled sweetly at them as she put them on the ground to be rearranged,

"oh they're lovely john, she would've loved them," johns eyes brightened at the compliment, "and who's this then john? you going to introduce me?" she said nodding her head in penelopes direction.

penelope realising she'd been addressed stepped forward slightly but john grabbed her hand and pulled her next to him.

"this is penelope, penelope this is my auntie mimi," mimi smirked at john remembering their conversation from just the day before.