forty five

penelope

penelope met up with charlotte at a diner downtown at four o'clock.

penelope changed since she left john into a pink button up shirt with some denim high waist shorts.

she waited in the booth they would usually meet in when charlotte walked in wearing shorts similar to penelopes along with a cropped stripey vest.

"penny!" she called as she scurried over to the table pulling penelope into a tight hug, "feels like it's been forever and it hasn't even been a few days," charlotte giggled.

she sat opposite penelope in the booth as penelope replied, "i know i have so much to tell you!"

charlotte raised her eyebrows intrigued but her eyes fell upon the purple mark peeking out of the collar of penelopes shirt. she quickly reach over the table moving the collar and her eyes almost bulged out of her head.

"penelope! you filthy girl what have you been doing?" penelope blushed embarrassed.

"are they off john?" charlotte quizzed holding back her smirk.

penelope nodded sheepishly trying to hide the marks on her neck, "i have one here too," she pointed to the area above her bra.

"oh my goodness! john has well and truly corrupted my sweet penelope!" she exaggeratedly wiped a nonexistent tear from her eye before returning serious and asking, "have you, done it?"

"no no, we just, i don't know, got a bit heated," she answered awkwardly.

"how are things with john?" she asked sipping from the drink penelope had gotten her before she arrived.

"oh lottie, they're so good. he's amazing. he told me he's falling in love with me yesterday."

charlotte almost choked on her drink, "love. as in love love."

"yes as in love love charlotte!"

charlotte frowned, "dont you think it's a bit quick for that yet?"

penelope understood the hesitation from her best friend but replied, "no. charlotte it's so hard to explain, we just understand each other, it's so easy around him and he's making me happier than i've been in a long time."

charlotte smiled at penelope, "as long as you're doing it at your own pace penelope, i don't want you getting hurt."

penelope smiled back, "dont worry lottie, i'm good with him. anyway what about paul?"

charlotte looked away, "what about him?"

"well how are you guys?"

charlotte sighed and stared blankly at nothing in particular, "paul's a good guy pen, but he's not for me."

"what happened?"

"i just didn't feel the same towards him." charlotte brushed off, penelope nodded skeptically.

"i just want some fun, and paul just got a bit too intense too quick." there was something off about the whole situation, penelope couldn't accept that this was all because charlotte had been much more intense in the past and it truly baffled her. how could charlotte go from liking him so much to not at all?