twenty one

14th July 1959

penelope

after going to bed penelope and charlotte found themselves whispering to each other about the boys sleeping just in the rooms next door. charlotte was beyond happy for  penelope, she could see the effect of john on her and it was all for the better. penelope feeling the same towards charlotte and paul. they were having fun and that was all that mattered.

charlotte was much more forward with her affection towards paul, but penelope found that was down to the fact that since the beginning of their relationship, it had been purely for romance, whereas john and penelope didn't know where they stood. they hadn't gone on a date, and they were much more reserved on telling the other one their feelings.

the next morning charlotte woke penelope up saying it's almost time to drop everyone home.

she got out of bed, and walked into the kitchen to find a sleepy john and very much hungover paul. charlotte was already dressed and not one bit having to recover from the night before. penelope always wondered how she did it, she never got tired or hungover.

"i made you some tea lovey," charlotte said pointing to a mug on the table. penelope thanked her and at the sound of her voice johns head turned upwards to face her and he offered her a small smile. paul said good morning and asked for some aspirin which charlotte found for him.

penelope sat down in the chair next to john and began drinking her tea. herself, the boys and her best friend all shared small talk whilst they drank their teas and hoped for quick recoveries from their zombie-like states.

soon after penelope went into her room to get changed. the sun was shining brightly again so she put on her favourite dress. a midi length green dress with darker green stitching floral patterns into the fabric, buttons closing all down the middle. she brushed her hair and pinned back her bangs.

as she opened her door she was surprised to see a fully dressed john, "i was just gonna give you mine and paul's shirt back, thanks again," he smiled, his eyes trying to hide the fact he was looking down her body to take in her appearance.

"thank you," she replied taking the shirts off of him.

"you look very nice today," he commented.

"thank you john," she blushed.

they both walked down the hallway to the kitchen to find paul and charlotte kissing against the kitchen side.

"oof come on guys save that for the bedroom please," john spoke exaggeratedly and covering eyes.

paul jumped back blushing as charlotte wiped her mouth laughing.

they all climbed into penelopes car, charlotte calling shotgun which left a sulking paul who wanted her to sit in the back with him.

john had been fairly quiet but penelope pinned that down to his hangover, so when he requested to be dropped home last, penelope was taken aback but agreed anyway.

paul gave directions to penelope as they drove through the streets to around twenty minutes away. before leaving he thanked penelope again and charlotte told him to call her on the night. john bid his farewell and then they set off to drop charlotte at work which was in the opposite direction of paul's home to a fancy boutique that charlottes mother owned. after fifteen minutes of driving penelope pulled up outside of the store, they shared goodbyes and i love yous and charlotte got out the car. so did john as he climbed into the passenger seat.

john instructed penelope on the direction to start driving in.

"i, uhm, i actually wanted to ask you something," john spoke breaking the silence and clearing his throat clearly nervous.

"yeah of course is everything ok?" penelope replied suddenly on edge with his tone of voice.

"well actually, it's uh.- it's the anniversary of my mums- well you know- tomorrow and i was wondering if you'd want to spend the day together? you know just do something to keep my mind off of it?" he looked down to his hands which were picking the loose threads of his sweatshirts.

penelope stopped the car due to a red light, and looked over to john. he looked so childlike the way he couldn't meet her eyes.

"yes of course. im actually broken up from work for a few weeks because benny is going on holiday so we can spend the day together," she smiled kindly, "are you," she started but paused considering whether to ask her question, "are you going to visit her?" referring to the cemetery.

"i don't know, i don't know if i can do that yet, but we'll see," he smiled weakly.

penelope smiled understanding.

"of course.  john, if you ever need anything, or even just don't want to be alone, i'm only a call away, and like i said, you know where i live and where i work so just come and find me okay?" she spoke.

he smiled at her, saying, "thank you penelope. but i don't want you to think of me as a charity case or anything like that-" but she cut him off,

"john i would never do that. i'm just being there for you. and i like being with you," she continued staring at the road ahead as they neared johns street. john smiled to himself.

"thank you. i like being with you too."

a comfortable silence overtook them as they pulled up outside johns aunts house. penelope turned in her seat to face john and she smiled toothily at him.

"thank you for making my birthday a great one. i don't think i've been that happy in a long time."

"always penelope-anne, have a good day, i'll see you on thursday." he leaned over and kissed her cheek, then jumped out the car.