EIGHTY ONE

friday 16th march 1962

john

john walked out of the supermarket with two full to the brim paper bags of ingredients to make a simple but not too unappealing meal for penelope to come home to when she finished work. it was her first day today meaning john was left in their house bored out of his brains from eight in the morning to after five and so he wanted to do something special for her when she got home.

he turned the corner and started walking down one of the high streets to explore the city a little more and waste time when a certain store caught his eye. it was a something like a hidden jewellery shop, it was in between two more prestigious designer shops and could easily of been ignored or not spotted if you skimmed the street. john walked over to the window of the store and decided to get penelope a small gift.

he walked into the shop and immediately started browsing the different glass cabinets and necklace racks all around the shop. penelope would've loved everything in this store, it was all very non-conforming jewellery if that made sense? it was something she always complained about - she didn't like dainty type of jewellery or pearls, she hated pearls, she wanted the jewellery to be a bit more fun and meaningful. she was a massive fan of coloured gems inside of rings and big pendants on the end of necklaces, she didn't care about having fancy diamonds or expensive named things - as long as it looked pretty she didn't care.

"hello, can i help you love?" a raspy voice called out from behind john making him jump and spin on his heel.

"uh- hi- i'm just looking," he smiled to a small woman who looked to be in her sixties.

"for anyone in particular?" she asked as she resumed creating a bracelet display.

"my girlfriend," he replied politely, "she would love it here."

the woman looked over to john, "what's the occasion?" she asked going to stand by the jewellery quarter he was browsing over, "anniversary or apology?"

john chuckled, "oh no occasion really, she started her new job today and i don't know - she deserves something nice."

the woman smiled, "you're a good one - they're hard to come across these days," she started then put on a straight face, "right, what does she look like?" she asked looking right at john. she was a small woman with her hair pinned up with butterfly clips and floaty clothing - she had wrinkles down her cheeks and forehead but she had kind eyes and a sweet smile.

"what?" john asked confusedly.

the woman laughed realising she must've sounded super weird, "sorry, its just i can help you with what to buy if i can imagine your girl in the product."

john nodded, "ohhhh," then pulled out his wallet, "well she's absolutely beautiful it's hard to explain so here..." he opened it up and pulled out a small polaroid of penelope stood in front of their new home cheesing brightly. her hair was pushed back with a thick black hairband and she wore purple high waist trousers with a black sweater. john insisted on capturing the moment and after a lot of protesting she finally agreed.

the woman pulled her glasses down from perched on her head and took the photo out of johns hand. she looked at it for a few seconds before smiling, "you're right she's very beautiful," she complimented making john blush, "and i know exactly what you should get her."