fifty two

thursday 23rd july 1959

penelope

am i really going to do this? penelope thought as she stared at the digits she'd dotted down onto her small notepad.

it was currently five in the evening and she had managed to find a number for Wales Daily Headquarters and persuade the receptionist to give her Caleb's number.

penelope found out that caleb had endorsed in an early retirement due to a successful book publication a few years prior.

she nervously shook her leg as she held the orange phone in her hand.

she inhaled deeply, trying to gather herself.

she decided she needed to talk to someone about it first. see if she was doing the right thing.

so of course she called john - whom she'd dropped off only a few hours before after coming back from the hotel.

the phone rung a few times before a raspy john picked up, "hello?"

"uh, hey it's pen, were you asleep?"

"i was just resting my eyes," he joked clearing his throat, "can't get enough of me then?"

"ha ha, i just needed to ask you something," penelope paused before saying, "i got his number."

john instantly knew who she was on about.

"have you called him?" he asked eager to know the answer.

"no," she twisted the spiral cord around her fingers as she slid down the wall in a comfier position, "i'm scared."

"there's nothing to be scared of pen," he replied gently, penelope heard the scraping of a chair across the floor, she assumed john had also taken a seat.

"it's just been so easy pretending he doesn't exist and now i'm potentially going to start a relationship with him, what if my expectations are too high?"

"if you don't give yourself this closure penelope, you'll regret it. wouldn't you rather know than not?"

she sighed, "yeah i guess. you're right, you're always right," she gave a stifled laugh.

"i know i know, i'm the best, yeah yeah," he joked, "seriously though, it'll be fine, i'll be with you the whole time, so if he ends up being an arse i'll just lamp him one," he laughed.

penelope laughed at his words, "i can't wait to see you tomorrow at the gig. i was thinking we could start travelling to wales after it and get a motel room or something?"

"won't it be like early hours in the morning if we start travelling after the gig? i can always just blow it off?" john suggested.

"no way! i wanna see you perform anyways, if you're tired you can sleep in the car."

"we can take it in turns to drive, and pen it's the same performance i've given the past few weeks, it's nothing new why do you wanna watch it, again?" john asked genuinely curious.

"i love watching you up on stage, you're always so happy and you look so carefree - it's nice seeing you like that," she spoke softly.

"i guess i am," he replied quietly, mostly to himself, "but now that i know  you'll be watching i'll have to make sure i'm on my top game."

"you're always on top game."

"i never really thought you were actually paying attention though," he chuckled.

"of course i am. you're fucking great johnny," penelope could feel his smile down the phone as she boosted his ego, "plus you look super sexy when you're all sweaty and jumping around like that," she added quickly feeling slightly embarrassed saying those words.

"super sexy ay?" he teased, "I can always look sweaty under other circumstances," his voice was deep and whisper like, probably to try and a avoid being heard by mimi.

"i'll believe it when i see it," she whispered back.

"you'll see it sooner or later."

"until then, i guess i'll just have to watch you perform won't i?"

"i guess you will," he chuckled at the small wind up, "god pen."

"well i should get going now, i need to call caleb whilst it's still an appropriate time," penelope sighed feeling anxious once again.

"stop overthinking it pen, you'll be alright. i love you."

penelopes heart fluttered at the words as she almost melted into an actual puddle on the floor.

"i love you too, see you tomorrow."

with that she hung up and hesitantly dialled the digits for caleb.

the phone rang exactly four times before a deep yet soft male voice picked up saying, "hello?"

a lil filler - continued in next chapter x