NINETY

saturday 25th may 1962

john

"so what are you doing today?" john asked penelope taking a seat on the closed toilet lid as penelope showered just a few inches away hidden by the shower curtain.

the water turned off and john stood up holding penelopes towel up, she opened the shower curtain and climbed out as john helped wrapping the towel round her body.

"thank you," she mumbled, "and uh, nothing really, i might go and get my hair cut, why?" she asked as they walked out the bathroom and into their bedroom.

he scratched his head leaning against the door frame as he watched her walk around the bedroom to sit at her dressing table and look at him through the reflection of the mirror.

"well later on a few of the teachers from the school are going out for drinks and i was wondering if you'd like to come and meet them?" he asked. penelope turned round to look at him smiling.

"i'd love to."

john smiled at her reply and then walked over to stand behind her as she turned to look back in the mirror and brush her hair - she hadn't washed it in the shower so the hairdressers could do it.

he took the brush out of her hands and stood behind her brushing it gently. penelope adored moments like this, very minimal things to do with their relationship that made her feel close to him without actually doing anything lovey dovey.

"do you think i look like me?" she asked, john looked up to her furrowing his eyebrows.

"what do you mean?"

she tilted her head in the mirror with a troubling look in her eye as she viewed her appearance.

"i don't look like myself," she started turning round to face john, he took a seat on their bed whilst looking at her, "remember when we first met? i was   so different-"

"it's been a long time since then-"

"i know but i've changed a lot and i'm not sure if i like it," she held her towel close to her body as she picked at the nail polish coating her nails, "i mean we both know i've never been too happy with myself but i look at myself and i don't even recognise who stares back, y'know? my hairs so long and i wear things to please other people and i've never been like that."

she turned back to her mirror and pulled out the photograph she'd wedged in the frame and looked at it for a second before passing it to john. the photograph showed penelope and john standing windswept at the docks. john stood behind penelope with his arms wrapped around her torso, they cheesed brightly at the camera. penelopes hair was chopped above her shoulders and she had a bright purple headband wrapped around her head, it tied under her hair so the fabric fell down her shoulder, she matched it with a purple miniskirt and a white blouse with ruffles on.