NINETY TWO

penelope

penelope felt johns body heat radiating underneath her as she stirred lightly bringing her hand up to her face to rub her eye

penelope felt johns body heat radiating underneath her as she stirred lightly bringing her hand up to her face to rub her eye. the crackling of the fire still rung down her ears and johns fingertips made her squirm as they gently trailed up and down her back mindlessly making her realise he was still awake. her arm that was looped around his waist moved up to lay on his chest and her fingers caressed his neck. her head rested comfortably in the crook of his shoulder but she tilted it up to him to perhaps relieve the numbness she caused his arm.

she found his glazed eyes already looking down onto her with a thoughtful look on his features. as her eyes met his it was like the world stopped spinning and her heart skipped a trillion beats.

he was so beautiful.

"hi," she croaked with her sleepy voice.

"hey," he replied quietly admiring her sleepy face, his arm ached like hell with her lying on top of it for hours but he didn't mind. penelope looked up to the window where their curtains were drawn shut but no light escaped the corners meaning it was still dark out.

"what time is it?" she asked lifting off johns arm and grabbing his hand to move it from under her and down their sides instead knowing she was probably killing it, she intertwined their fingers and then shuffled up the floor so she could be eye level with him whilst her head rested on one of their cushions of the sofa.

he turned his head to look at the clock on the fireplace, he squinted reading the dialogue without his glasses but managed to read, "just after two."

penelope sighed closing her eyes, "why are you still awake?" she asked fluttering them back open.

"i couldn't sleep," he answered simply.

"got something on your mind?" she asked curiously pressing her body to his side, he turned onto his side to face her as well and unthreaded their fingers to cup her cheek.

he shook his head slowly, "just you my love."

she rolled her eyes, "such a sweet talker."

the playful smile on her lips made john erupt with butterflies, "i'm bein' serious," he grinned, "i like watching you when you sleep - in the least creepy way possible i mean - you're so peaceful and carefree, plus your lips do this cute little thing when you fidget and they pucker up like you're waiting for a kiss," he teased watching pinkness tint her cheeks.

"they do not," she denied hiding her face in his arm.

"yeah, yeah you do," he laughed - heaven to her ears that sound.