sixty four

an: gonna try a first person layout for this chapter and i'd like you guys to tell me which p.o.v you prefer X

ur in for a wild ride my friends x

‼️WARNING ; warning, the topics in THE NEXT FEW CHAPTERS may be triggering (abuse) so please skip if you are sensitive to those subjects xxx

i'm laying it out in a back and forth perspective kind of so the detail of the abuse won't be for another one or two chapters but i'm not going to put in another warning like this. if there's sensitive material in a chapter i'm just gonna put a '‼️' at the top xxx

friday 30th july 1959

penelope

"well when do you think you'd be able to make it?" i asked sadly down the phone.

"not until maybe next week, i'm sorry sweetheart i really did want to come and see you and see john perform too," caleb replied just as upset.

caleb had just called me to tell me that his mother had been taken to hospital and although he didn't particularly like her, there was no one else to look after her.

i sighed twirling the spiral cord around my fingers and sliding down the wall, "it's okay, it's not your fault. i hope she's okay, see you soon."

i hung the phone up after saying farewells and felt my heart drop to my stomach.

its currently four in the afternoon and i have work in around forty minutes, benedict had somehow managed to persuade me into working until nine o'clock on the night to wait for a new stock of books and sort through them. so not only did that mean i'd miss some of johns show, but i'd also miss stu's last performance. i mean who even needs a book shop at these times on a friday evening? except that one time john came in.

today nothing had been going right for me. first of all i ran out of foundation so i couldn't cover any of the hickeys john had given me on my neck meaning i had to wear another turtle neck, then benedict made me come to work on my day off and now caleb calls to say he can't even make it down here to see me. i was planning on telling charlotte and richard tonight about caleb but just like everything else that plan had gone to shit too.