Chapter Fourty

"Mooommm!!!!", Varian screamed in terror, but his voice faded out as he watched powerlessly.
His mother, his mom he never knew, was encased in rock.
"Veronica! Veronica!", Quirin yelled rushing over as baby Varian's hair ceased glowing.
Quirin stopped abruptly his eyes shining with disbelief.
"No, no, no, nooo! Veronica!!!", Quirin screamed desperately pounding on the rock while tears streamed down his face, "Please! This can't be happening!"
He then drew his sword and Varian looked at the blade, seeing it was made of the black rocks.
Quirin swung the blade with all his might and speed, trying to free his wife from the dark prison.
"C'mon!!", Quirin yelled angrily through gritted teeth as sparks flew.
Suddenly the sword broke apart into shards at Quirin's feet, leaving him panting and tired.
Resting a hand on the rock, Quirin looked up with determination, anger and love.
"I'm not giving up on you Veronica, I'll get you out of there!", he promised pulling a dagger out of his vest.
Just as he started hitting the rock, the black rock started to shrink into the ground.
"Wait no! Stop! STOP!!", he yelled in terror.
Quirin tried to grab the rock and prevent the sinking, but he only lost his grip as Varian's mother's face disappeared below the surface.
Baby Varian cried as grim silence filled the air as Varian's father watched the last of the rock descend into the hard dirt.
"Veronica.", Quirin whispered brokenly staring at where his wife used to be.
Varian watched the scene in horror, his face completely void of color.
Quirin say there crying for the next couple of minutes as baby Varian wailed beside him.
"Hey, it's alright.", Quirin soothed picking up the baby tenderly while brushing his tears away with his free arm.
"Everything's going to be alright. Daddy's here.", Varian's father comforted holding baby Varian close.
Baby Varian ceased his crying and soon fell asleep in his warm strong father's hands.
Quirin looked down at him his face displaying multiple emotions.
"I'll never let anything happen to you Varian, I promise.", he said standing and looking into the distance.
Suddenly, Varian watched as the scene shifted and melted into an array of blurred colors.
He felt disorientated until the colors and took form into a new scene.
Varian then found himself in his house, new and rebuilt, with his dad and a strange woman.
A fire crackled in the hearth as his father sat in a chair and the woman stood watching the flames, her back to Quirin.
"You know, this would have never happened if you just would have done what needed to be done.", the strange woman said gravely.
The woman was tall and as far as Varian could see, her hair was done in a crazy braided bun.
Quirin stared at his cup in his hand as the gentle roar of fire filled the room.
"I, I, I don't know.", Quirin responded his hand shaking, "I just don't know!"
Varian watched as his father's whole body shook as he cried softly, dropping the cup in the process.
The woman turned after a few minutes of his sobbing and touched his shoulder gently.
"I'm sorry about your wife Quirin, I really am.", she apologized, "But none of this would have never..."
"Shut it!!!", Quirin burst throwing her hand off him as he bolted up.
"You don't know that! You don't know anything Adira!", Quirin exploded his eyes reflecting the fire, "So shut up!!"
Adira backed away stunned as Varian watched shocked at his father's outburst.
Adira gained her composure after a few seconds and looked back at the rippling flames.
Varian felt his eyes grow wider, his dad knew Adira?
Quirin stared at her back with daggers as intense silence filled the room.
"I understand your anger.", Adira started, "I also understand your pain as well. You're suffering and it hurts, I get that."
"What's your point?", Quirin asked through gritted teeth.
"You gotta stop.", Adira answered turning slightly to look at him, "You're only hurting yourself and your son."
Quirin sat down with a heavy sigh and looked at her.
"I'm trying Adira, but I'm not going to do it.", Quirin said, "Ever."
"Let's be reasonable, there's a chance something like this could happen again. What then Quirin?", Adira reasoned.
"We gotta do what's best for everyone. Everyone. Not just you, not me, not your son, but everyone. We have a duty to protect.", she said gently but firmly.
"Believe me it's for the best.", Adira reasoned.
Quirin put a hand to his forehead and kneaded his brow.
"I know your wife didn't want this, but Veronica didn't realize the danger. She didn't know the power. And that's what ended her life.", Adira told Quirin, "Don't make the same mistake as her!"
Varian watched as his father looked up, fire burning in his eyes, but soon looked tired and the flames extinguished and went out.
"You're positive it won't hurt him.", Quirin questioned dejectedly.
Adira nodded, "It'll only make his moon-power dormant. He'll still possess it, but he won't be able to feel or access it."
Quirin sighed and stood up heavily, "Alright, let's get this over with."
As Quirin stood, Varian noticed a strange symbol on his father's hand, the exact same mark as Adira's.
Suddenly the world went blurry and unfocused again, sending Varian to another scene.
This time Varian stood in his dad's room as Quirin sat on his bed alone in the dark room.
Quirin stared at the mark on his hand and looked at the sword that lay on his bed.
Shaking his head, Quirin took the sword and placed it into a chest that lay near his bed.
"Goodbye old friend.", he said softly as he looked into the chest before closing it shut.
Varian watched as Quirin took the chest and put it into a secret compartment in the wall, sealing it away from prying eyes.
"I'm sorry Veronica, I have no other choice.", Quirin said sadly to the painting of his family, "This is for everyone's good."
Varian stared at the hidden spot as the world again vanished and Varian found himself back again in the real world, ending his visions.

This was so fun to write and I know I got some of you worried about Varian, tee-hee!😊