Chapter Twenty-Four

Rapunzel sobbed as she got up from her knees and ran to the nearest room that Eugene wasn't occupying.
Her heart felt sore and she wished Pascal was with her, but she didn't know where he was or what he was doing.
So she was on her own, but maybe it was just as well as she needed some time alone anyway.
Crying, Rapunzel ran into an empty dark room and shut the door behind her.
What had happened between her and Eugene?
She never wanted to argue with him like that and now the both of them were angry and sad.
But she still believed she was right in all of this.
Cassandra was still a good person even if she wasn't making good choices now.
Something had happened in that room in the house of yesterday's tomorrow and whatever it was, it changed Cass.
Maybe it was a demon or a spell. It could have been a threat or a promise. The possibilities were endless to the world of magic that Rapunzel had run into and she knew her friend had suffered something more than a burnt arm.
Rapunzel felt herself grow angrier and sadder as she remembered her heated argument with Eugene.
Eugene was just being overly protective and stubborn, he wasn't even trying to consider the fact that Cass was different!
Why wouldn't he listen to me!, Rapunzel thought frustrated as she slid down the door into a little ball.
Was Cass really worth all the trouble she was causing? And what if she had to destroy Cassandra in order to save her kingdom?
Rapunzel felt herself fall into a hole of despair as these thoughts ran through her mind.
Suddenly someone walked over to her and bent down eyeing her.
She yelped in surprise and held her hand over her heart when she saw that it was just Adira.
"Adira! You surprised me!", Rapunzel exclaimed laughing a little, "You almost made me have a heart attack!"
Adira sat down next to her, "I'm sorry princess, I didn't mean to frighten you."
Rapunzel shrugged, "It's all right."
"What are you doing here princess?", Adira asked looking at her.
"Umm I just needed some space from Eugene.", she answered brushing some hair out of the way.
"Hmm.", Adira commented, "Is everything alright between you two?"
Rapunzel felt tears sting her eyes again, "I actually don't know Adira, we had a big fight and I'm afraid that we won't make up."
"If you don't mind me asking, what did you fight about?", Adira asked awkwardly.
Rapunzel took a deep breath and sniffled, "Well, Eugene is mad at you, as you already know, and I'm not mad which is making him a mad. So it's a mad circle that goes around and around. Also I believe I can save Cass still and he thinks it's completely hopeless.", she explained sadly.
"I see."
"Yeah, so it's kinda've difficult between us.", she responded facing Adira.
"How about you? You seemed upset earlier and I think you still are.", Rapunzel asked holding her knees.
Adira looked down, "I'm fine princess, it's just I feel like I can't tell you the legend. King Edmund is against it and I've already disobeyed him multiple times, I just can't do it again."
Rapunzel nodded even though she knew Adira wasn't telling her the whole truth, "I know and I understand your pain Adira, it's okay. You've done so much for me and my friends.", she said putting a hand on her shoulder.
Adira sighed, "It's not only that princess, it's also other things are upsetting me. I've just gone through a lot lately."
Rapunzel tilted her head, "Like what?"
"It's complicated.", Adira said looking at her hands nervously.
"I can take complicated,",Rapunzel said with an eyebrow raised, "Believe me, I've had my share. I want to help you Adira, you're my friend and friends help each other when they need it."
Adira looked out into the dark room, "Sometimes it feels like I don't belong here and I wonder why I'm here.", she said quietly.
"I've always felt out of place and out of synch with others. Being a loner is nothing new to me.
"I've had my struggles in the past, that's for sure, but no matter how hard I try they keep coming back haunting and biting me.
"I have many regrets and I've tried so hard to make things right again.
"I've lost my friend and left the people I worked for. I feel like a failure even if I led you here Rapunzel. I'm not who you think I am at all. I'm not even sure if I know what I am or who I am even more.", Adira said mournfully.
Rapunzel blinked and looked at Adira, she had no idea Adira felt this way and she felt sad hearing her talk like this.
"Who was your friend?", Rapunzel asked gently.
Adira eyes filled with tears as she swallowed, "A man named Seoul. He was a very good friend of mine."
Rapunzel smiled, "Seoul. I like that name."
"I think we're done here.", Adira said suddenly standing up.
Rapunzel stood up quickly, "Wait Adira where are you going?"
Adira has just closed up right after she had opened. Why was Adira so afraid to open up to anyone?
"I told you way to much.", Adira answered looking at her, "I need some space to think."
"Adira...", she started.
"No princess, we're done here.", Adira cut off leaving Rapunzel stunned.
She then turned to leave but a voice stopped her in her tracks.
"This is not the cliffs of Camanbaya! My bad!", a laughing voice exclaimed behind Rapunzel and Adira.
Rapunzel turned around shocked, "Aunt Willow?!?"
Aunt Willow smiled and charged at Rapunzel, embracing her in a big bear hug.
"There's my favorite niece!", Aunt Willow greeted.
Rapunzel returned the hug, "How are you here?", she asked her face lit.
Adira looked at Rapunzel, "You know this woman?"
Rapunzel nodded, "This is my aunt."
Aunt Willow nodded and stuck out her hand to shake, "I'm Willow, tall person with great hair!"
Shaking her hand, Adira raised an eyebrow amused, "Thank you, I guess, and my name is Adira."
"Well, nice to meet you Adira!", Aunt Willow said releasing her hold on Adira's hand.
"Nice castle.", Aunt Willow commented looking around running out of the room.
Adira watched her go, "Well, she's full of energy."
Rapunzel smiled sheepishly, "Yeah, she is. I wonder how she got here?"
"There's only one way to find out.", Adira said motioning to the door.
The two left the dark room behind and went after Aunt Willow who rushed around enthusiastically.

Who's happy to see Aunt Willow return? :