Chapter Eleven

Varian held on for dear life as the horse galloped through the forest and away from the castle.
"Gahh!! Slow down!", Varian yelled.
The horse continued to rush through the forest full speed, ignoring Varian's commands.
Varian grabbed the flopping reins clumsily and held them in his hands uncertainly. Did he have to pull on these to make the horse stop?
First time for everything, Varian thought to himself.
"Stop!", he commanded.
Varian then yanked the reins with all his might, just as the horse ran under a tree with low hanging limbs.
Several things happened at once. First, Varian's head smacked into the branch making his head spin and throb. Second, as that happened, the horse reared and stopped in pain from Varian's rough handling of the bridle.
Third, as a result of a woozy head, the sudden stop and just not being the best rider, Varian flew off the horse and crashed down onto his back.
Ruddiger winced as Varian's body smashed into the hard ground as his owner groaned.
Ruddiger then jumped off the horse's back and ran over to Varian, chittering in concern.
As soon as the raccoon touched the ground the horse reared and galloped off, leaving Varian and Ruddiger behind.
Ruddiger watched the horse disappear and chittered in concern. He then started rubbing his cheek against Varian's face, trying to get him up.
Varian just lay there on the ground panting as Ruddiger nosed him.
Varian groaned, his whole body ached and screamed with pain.
After a few minutes he sat up, gritting his teeth as his back stung and as his head pulsed with pain.
"I'm, I'm fine buddy.", Varian said in a shaky voice as his loyal raccoon nosed him in concern. "I'm just a little shaken up, that's all."
Taking several deep breaths, Varian gazed up at the sky watching the birds fly by and the clouds drift away.
"Hey Ruddiger, what just happened?", he asked.
Ruddiger tilted his head in confusion and chittered.
"I know I just fell off a horse and hit my head Ruddiger. And no, I don't have amnesia so calm down.", Varian said annoyed as his raccoon chittered. "What I mean is, what happened back there? At the castle with Pete? It all happened so quickly."
Varian looked around and saw the trees and brush surrounding him as he thought about the sudden escape.
Pete has gotten himself in trouble so he could escape. BIG trouble.
And apparently not just with the law, but with his best friend Stan.
Varian's heart ached more then his body did when he realized the situation that Pete had put himself into.
Pete has wanted him to escape and told him to get on the horse so he could have freedom, but the question was, was it really fair for Pete's freedom to be sacrificed for his expense?
Ruddiger chittered, breaking Varian out of his guilty thoughts.
Ruddiger looked excited and was looking like he was trying to tell him something.
Varian then noticed where he was. It looked like he was in Old Corona and was in one of the woods.
Meaning he near home! Varian's eyes widened.
Varian's heart thumped with he didn't know what exactly as he rose to his feet slowly.
He then grabbed Ruddiger and set him on his shoulder as he walked towards his house. After a few miles, Varian stopped and looked at the building he hadn't seen in months.
"Home.", Varian breathed out as he saw a familier house peeking through the trees.
Unable to contain his excitement, Varian ran into the house, even though his body protested against the sudden activity, flinging the door open and shutting it with his back against it.
He was here. He was actually home again.
Varian closed his eyes and took a deep breath trying to process where he was.
Would it disappear if he opened his eyes? Would he wake up and see it was all a dream? A crazy, bad, to good to be true dream?
Sighing, he slowly opened his eyes again afraid to find out.
He stared at the room and felt his body ache, proving what had happened was all very real.
Ruddiger looked at Varian in concern as Varian's shoulders dropped.
Then as if in a trance, Varian walked in the room where his father lay encased in the stubborn amber.
Brushing his hand on its rough surface, he bit his lip trying not to cry.
"Hey Dad. It's been a while you know, but don't worry, I'll get you out of there soon. Somehow.", Varian said his voice quaking.
Ruddiger watched as his human friend started to break down as he suddenly collapsed to his knees.
"Who am I kidding, I'm never getting you back Dad. I'm sorry, so, so, so sorry!", he broke out as tears flowed down his cheeks. "I should have listened to you. You wouldn't be in this mess if it wasn't for me."
Varian's fist pounded the amber, "I did this to you, I did this because I was so determined to prove myself, prove that I could fix everything with my alchemy that I disobeyed you. I lost not only you, but my friends too with my foolish choices.
"I hurt so many people that were innocent and I was blinded by anger. I even blamed other people for my choices instead of taking the blame myself. I wanted to make you proud of me Dad, but I guess you would only be disappointed if you were here now.", Varian said quietly.
Tears were dripping down his face as Varian felt regret course through every vein in his body.
He felt his body shake violently as he tried to stand and realized he was in no condition to move.
"Guess I'm sleeping here Dad.", Varian said as Ruddiger leaped into his lap.
Varian then pet Ruddiger gently and slowly as he leaned against the amber.
"Goodnight Dad.", Varian whispered closing his eyes.