Chapter Fourteen

"Owww!! What the..,", Varian yelled as he was startled awake.
Varian rubbed his eyes and blinked as his eyes watered for a moment.
Varian turned to stare back at his raccoon friend who apparently decided to pull on his eyelids.
"What was that for?", he demanded as he rubbed his eyes tenderly.
Ruddiger chittered and pointed to the sky impatiently.
"Oh, thanks buddy, but next time when you wake me up, don't pull on my eyelids.", Varian said as he saw the already high sun in the sky.
He'd overslept and there were things that needed to be done. First he had to find some food, second he had to make sure he didn't get caught especially after what Pete did for him, and third he needed to gather plants and things for his alchemy.
Maybe it was a short list, but getting these things done was going to be harder then it seemed.
Ruddiger tapped his lap and offered an apple to him once he had gotten his attention.
Varian smiled, "Thanks buddy, you're the best.", he praised as he took the apple in one hand and ruffled Ruddiger's soft fur with the other.
The raccoon chittered happily and curled in his lap as Varian ate his breakfast.
"What would I do without you buddy?", Varian said as he stroked him.
Varian then stood up and brushed himself off, glancing at the amber that encased his father.
Heart feeling heavy again, Varian quickly left the room ready to find his ingredients for his alchemy.
"Let's go Ruddiger.", Varian said opening the door.
The raccoon chittered in response and leaped onto his shoulders.
Varian smiled and quickly slung a satchel over his shoulder along with a hooded cape before closing the door.
"We got to remain incognito.", Varian whispered as he tucked the raccoon behind the folds of his hood.
Ruddiger nodded and remained hidden as Varian carefully walked through the woods.
As Varian searched for the ingredients he saw a cart peddler who was selling some of what he needed.
Some rare ingredients he needed.
Should I?, Varian thought worriedly as his feet took him closer to the cart. Is it to risky?
He heard Ruddiger chitter nervously as he got closer.
"Don't worry buddy. I'll be extra careful.", Varian reassured.
Varian then strutted over to the cart, planting himself in front of the man.
"Umm, hey there!", Varian greeted as he deepened his voice and swung his arms to try to give the impression of a more muscular person.
The peddler looked at him and raised an eyebrow, but returned his greeting.
"Hello, may I help you?", the peddler asked as he stared at Varian.
Varian adjusted his hood making sure it hid his face well before continuing.
"Yes, yes of course. I would like some of your herbs if you wouldn't terribly mind. Hmmm, how about those?", Varian said as he pointed to a group of flowers, a fernlike plant, and a weird spiky stick that was similar to bamboo.
The peddler nodded, "I see you take a interest in my prized goods. These are rare and quiet hard to reach. Why do you want them?", he asked curious.
Varian felt his eyes practically pop out of his head, "Uhhm, because, uhh becauuusse I'mmm a colleccctooorr.", he stumbled. "Yeah! A collector!", Varian said snapping his fingers as his voice went to its normal pitch in his excitement.
Varian watched as the peddler gave him a weird look and eyed him suspiciously.
Varian coughed, "Yeah, erm I collect things.", he said deepening his voice again. "I like to collect rare plants and study them. Discover there uses and wonders with the science!"
"So you're a scientist.", the peddler said.
"A scientist! Ha! It's really only a hobby of mine and I'm not really thaaat smart, but I do dabble a little with sciency stuff.", Varian laughed a throaty chuckle which made Ruddiger wince under the hood.
Sciency stuff?!? Where did that come from?, Varian thought to himself knowing that he probably sounded like an idiot.
"Riiigghht. Okay then, do you have any money?", the peddler asked raising his eyebrow again for the third time that day.
Varian nodded, "Of course! Just give me a second.", he reassured as he dug through his satchel and pulled out several coins.
"Is this enough?", He asked showing the peddler.
The peddler quickly counted the coins and nodded before taking them.
He then bagged the plants that Varian wanted and handed the goods to him.
"Here you go.", the peddler said and Varian nodded about to go when the peddler stopped him, "Wait just a moment."
Varian's heart sped up as he realized to his dread that a wanted poster was on the cart.
A wanted poster of him!
How could he have been so stupid!
The peddler's grip was not rough, but it was definitely strong enough to prevent him from running away.
"I want to give you something.", the peddler said as he let go of Varian's arm and handed him a vial.
Varian almost fainted with relief, but was barely able to keep himself conscious. Barely.
"Ohhh umm thanks. What is it?", Varian asked deciding to deepen his voice further for extra cover.
The man frowned, "Your voice."
Now it was Varian's turn to frown, "Wait, my voice? What's wrong with my voice?"
"There is obviously something wrong with your voice because you are talking weird and nobody sounds like that.", the peddler said bluntly.
Varian blinked, "Ookkay, got it. Thanks but no thanks.", he offered the vial back to the peddler.
"Keep it."
"But I don't need it and I really don't want to pay for something that,..", Varian objected.
The peddler winced, "It's on the house. I insist you keep it for the good of everyone's hearing and your own poor vocal chords, take it."
Varian gave up and stuffed the vial with the plants in his satchel and quickly left the peddler's cart.
"I don't know whether I should be insulted or if I should be thankful.", Varian said as he arrived back in the woods.
Ruddiger snickered and chittered at Varian, making fun of him teasingly.
"Hey, I didn't sound that bad!", Varian said as he rubbed his raccoon's head.
Ruddiger chittered and shook his head.
"Fine, whatever. Let's just get the rest of the ingredients.", Varian rolled his eyes.