Chapter Eight

Varian tapped his finger on his knee, bored.
Pete watched Varian for a few seconds before rushing over, keys to the cells in hand. The keys that he had swiped after tying up his x-buddy.
"Varian!", Pete called as he stood in front of the door.
Varian looked up at Pete and sighed uninterested. "What do you want and what are you doing here Pete?", he asked.
Pete looked frantic and his face was a wreck of emotions, "I'm bustin ya out!"
Varian's head whipped up in surprise, "But Pete, wouldn't that mean you're breaking the law? You could get in serious trouble!"
"I know what I'm getting myself into, believe me. But you got to hurry and get out of here before everyone's alerted."
Pete watched surprised as Varian shoved himself into a corner of the cell and crossed his arms.
Pete yanked the door open after unlocking it and held it open for him, "What's going on? You need to get out of here, like right now!"
"I can't let you put your job or heck!, Your life on the line either if King Frederick is angry enough. I've done enough damage to last me a lifetime Pete and I don't really have a purpose outside this cell anymore.", Varian said.
"But,"
"I'm staying in this cell and you and I can pretend this never happened, okay?", Varian turned away.
Pete sighed and looked at Varian, "I'm kinda passed the point of no return Varian and I am getting you out of here. The king and Captain have broken your spirit and made you believe you're worthless.
"Well guess what, you're not. You are a good kid who's suffered heartache and now has seen the errors in his ways. You want to change and I'm here to give that second chance that was never and should have been given.
"All you need to do is learn to forgive yourself and realize you can make it up to everyone. Show them your changed and I assure you anyone who has sense will forgive you. Everyone deserves a second chance Varian and you are not an exception to this rule.", Pete finished his pep talk and motioned for Varian to come to him.
Varian still didn't turn around and stayed silent.
Pete bounced up and down impatiently as he was starting to run out of time. Darn this kid and his overly heavy guilty heart!
Just then a idea popped into his head and he rushed off, leaving the cell door open with Varian still standing stubbornly in the corner.
As Pete ran off down the hall he bumped into the Captain of the Guard.
"Uuuhh, hi!", Pete greeted as a bead of sweat went down his neck.
Cap looked at him, "No running in the halls and don't make me repeat that Pete.", he said before walking away.
Pete exhaled in relief, then power-walked quickly to a door with five different padlocks on the outside.
Pulling out the set of keys he had stolen from the Captain earlier, Pete unlocked the doors locks and swung the door open cautiously.
This prisoner was a special case and had escaped every cell there was. This room was the only thing containing him. Sly and clever, a whole new room had to be dedicated just for him.
A pair of yellow glowing eyes blinked at him in the dark room as Pete looked in. Suddenly, a raccoon tackled him to the ground.
"Ruddiger, I'm here to help you reunite with Varian again.", Pete explained as the raccoon started to bite him.
Ruddiger, Varian's pet raccoon, had to be taken away from Varian, as the first few times they were together, Ruddiger was able to pick the lock.
Ruddiger chittered and tilted his head at Pete, but then let him pick him up to take him to Varian.
"Lets go.", Pete said rushing off down to the prison cells.
Varian was still standing in the corner when Pete came back down.
Setting Ruddiger down, Pete smiled, "I have a friend for you Varian."
The raccoon chittered excitedly and Varian turned around, his eyes filling with tears at the familier animal and friend.
"Ruddiger!", Varian cried as his loyal companion leapt into his arms.
"Are you ready to leave now?", Pete asked gently.
Varian buried his face in Ruddiger's soft fur, "I don't know. I just can't let myself go after all I've done, I deserve this punishment and I'm getting you in trouble as well."
"No Varian. I'm doing this, not you. Now you're getting out of here and if you can't do this for yourself, do it for Ruddiger!", Pete put the foot down dragging Varian from the cell.
Varian looked at Ruddiger and nodded to Pete, "Okay, I guess I'm doing this, but it's really only for Ruddiger."
Pete sighed with relief. Finally the kid came to some of his senses so he could live his life again!
"Great, follow me! We have about maybe two to five minutes before Cap realizes the keys are gone or Stan gets free.", he said pulling on Varian's arm.
"Wait!"
Pete stopped and looked at him a little impatiently.
Varian kicked his foot into the ground, "Are you sure you want to go through with this? I mean your whole life is getting thrown down the drain here. It's not to late to put me back."
Pete smiled and knelt down so he was eye level with Varian, "Believe me Varian, your kind, caring, guilty heart is why I've come to free you. You want to change and I want to give you your life back.
"I've risked everything for you and I will continue so until you make it out of here. I will defend you and make sure no one hurts you, okay? It's okay to be afraid, but it's not okay to run away because of that fear. Do you understand?", Pete said kindly.
Varian nodded vigorously.
Pete stood up, "Okay, here we go again, let's go!"
Pete grabbed Varian's hand and rushed down the halls, dodging servants and guard patrols by staying out of sight.
"Just a little further.", Pete panted as determination drove him on.
Finally, a door, the garden door, was in sight. Pete sighed with relief, "Come on Varian, you're almost free."
As the two stopped around a corner to prevent from being seen by a maid, Varian sneezed. Loudly.
The maid looked up from the sound and glanced around suspiciously.
Pete motioned for Varian to stay put as he went around the corner.
"Sorry, you know me. Hay fever.", Pete shrugged while rubbing his nose.
Pete smiled as the maid shrugged and left. As soon as she was out of view, Pete pulled the door open and pulled Varian along beside him.
Suddenly, someone tackled Pete to the ground, forcing Pete and Varian apart.
"Varian, RUN!!!", Pete called as he tussled the offender.
Pete watched as Varian stood there shocked, watching the fight.
"I still can't believe you went through with this Pete.", Stan said as he pinned Pete's arms to the ground.
Pete twisted his head, as his stomach was lying on the ground, to see if his Stan was really the one who attacked him.
"Stan?", Pete asked.
Stan's mustache quivered, "Sorry, Pete."
Varian was still standing there, cradling Ruddiger in his arms while staring at Pete and Stan.
"What happened between you two? You guys were best friends.", Varian said his face completely awestruck.
Stan looked down and Pete felt his grip loosen at the question. Taking advantage, Pete yanked his arm free then swiftly punched Stan square in the nose.
Stan stumbled off Pete and quickly came back to his feet.
"You don't want to do this Pete.", Stan warned drawing his sword.
Varian glanced between the two, shocked at the intense rivalry between the former best friends.
"You can still help me Stan, help Varian.", Pete pleaded one final time.
"Never. I would never help a criminal like him and one like you.", Stan said his eyes hard and regretful.
"So that's how it's going to be.", Pete noted while drawing his own sword.
"Let it be."
"Agreed.", Pete said coldly then turning to Varian, "Varian, get out of here now!"
"But Pete, I can't just...", Varian cried as the two guards launched into combat.
"Yes you can Varian. Now get out of here before reinforcements arrive!", Pete yelled as his and Stan's swords clanged.
As soon as he finished his sentence, guards flooded out the doors and the Captain arrived at the scene sitting on a horse in front of Varian.
Pete cursed and then made a quick decision.
Parrying Stan's attack, Pete threw his sword into the ground and jumped and slid over the guards that tried to grab him.
Throwing himself at the Captain, Pete knocked Cap off the horse.
"Varian, get on that horse now!!!", Pete demanded while tussling with the Captain of the guard.
Varian dodged a few grabby hands and launched himself onto the horse just as Pete whipped the horse's flanks.
The horse reared and took off like a shot, forcing the guards out of the way and taking Varian with him outside the castle.
The guards watched the shrinking figure disappear in a trance until Cap broke it.
"Pete! You are under arrest!!!", the Captain yelled forcing Pete's hands behind his back.
Pete winced as his hands were roughly tied behind him and stared out into the distance.
His run might be over for now, but Varian's was just beginning. The kid was finally getting a chance at life.