Chapter Nineteen

Beware nothing is as it seems,
Love will be tested,
The truth will tear apart the team,
And darkness will reign supreme.
——————————————————
Finding Adira wasn't hard, as Rapunzel found out as they literally bumped into her.
"Adira! We were looking for you!", Rapunzel said in delight.
Eugene frowned a little, "Yes, we were. Listen Adira, we need you to tell us that story.", he said cutting straight to the point.
Adira's eyes shone as if tears had recently been cried, which they had, but only Adira knew that.
But Rapunzel caught on and silently noted something was bothering her.
"King Edmund has already spoken.", she said coldly.
Eugene looked annoyed, "Listen Adira this is important and since when have you cared two cents for King Edmund's orders?"
Rapunzel elbowed Eugene in the ribs, "Adira this is really important, we can't let Cass destroy everything. We need that legend, it's all up to you to make a difference.", she said kindly and urgently.
Adira shook her head, "Sorry princess, but even if I told you the story, you wouldn't want to act on it I'm sure."
Rapunzel thought for a moment, "I'd do whatever it takes to save Corona and the people of Corona and my family."
"I'm sorry princess, but that isn't enough.", Adira said shaking her head.
Eugene frowned, "Then what is enough Adira? Cassandra is on the brink of destroying the world and nothing can stop her except this legend! We need you to tell us the legend now!"
Adira's eyes hardened, "I don't have to tell you anything and this discussion is over.", she said walking away.
"Always running away from the problem don't you Adira!", Eugene called out after her angrily.
Adira ignored him and continued to walk away angrily, leaving the two behind in the dark hall.
"Eugene, you were being to hard on her.", Rapunzel said watching her go.
Eugene looked at her disbelievingly, "Too hard on her? Too hard?!? The fate of the world might be at stake and she's not willing to tell us how to save it! How am I being to hard on her?"
"You could have been kinder and tried to ask for it a little nicer then you did.", Rapunzel said wisely.
Eugene's face softened a little, "I guess Blondie, but she's still acting like it doesn't matter and that's what is getting to me.", he explained looking where Adira had disappeared.
Rapunzel sighed, "Eugene I'm sure she cares, but over the past almost two decades she's disobeyed King Edmund's wishes and that's got to be hard on her. I'm sure she'll tell us when it's time."
Eugene's eyes were full of sorrow, "But what if it's to late by the time she tells you the legend? What then?", he brushed a hand through her locks gently.
Rapunzel bit her lip, "Then I guess we'll just have to keep in fighting for what's left. Every life matters."
"What if there's nothing left Rapunzel? You heard my father, Cass will destroy everything just for the sake of destruction, she's no longer sane or reasonable."
Rapunzel's eyes shone, "Cassandra is a fighter, I'll know she'll hold on even if she's betrayed us. I don't believe she'll lose control immediately, meanwhile we'll still have a chance to get her back."
Eugene looked angry, "Rapunzel, Cassandra left us, backstabbed, and used you to get what she wanted. You were a key that she stole and then threw away, she was never your friend. She was never any of our friends."
"That isn't true!", Rapunzel cried pushing away from him, "Cass might have done those things but she really was my friend Eugene!"
"Rapunzel you need to wake up!", Eugen yelled, "Cassandra was using you just like Varian did! Why won't you except that?!"
"I know she used me Eugene but she was still my friend and I won't give up on her!", Rapunzel cried as a tear rolled down her cheek.
"She wasn't your friend! She was pretending!"
"No she wasn't! She was really my friend even if she made all those decisions Eugene! Something is wrong with her, why can't you see that?!", she yelled back.
Eugene pounded the wall in frustration, "The only thing wrong with her is herself Rapunzel! Just let it go, one day you're going to get seriously hurt by her!! Just stop and listen to me!"
Rapunzel backed away from him as tears rolled down her cheeks freely, "I won't stop! I won't ever ever give up on Cassandra and you should see that she's not herself!
"It's not that I don't see she's on the bad side of things now Eugene, it's that I see she's only on that side because she's hurt and somethings changed inside her!
"I need to help her if I can and I need to reach out to her. I won't go running back to her, believe me I'll be careful. I'm not that naive girl straight from the tower anymore.
"I've learned and I won't get myself hurt, but Cass is not herself, do you understand?! Cass is still in there!", Rapunzel cried frustrated, angry and heartbroken.
Eugene shook his head, "Rapunzel I'm sorry but I believe you want this to be true, but it isn't and you know it. Cassandra is no different."
Rapunzel looked at him angrily and felt frustrated her own boyfriend didn't understand what she said repeatedly.
She knew deep down inside her that something had happened that day at the house of yesterdays tomorrow.
"Eugene please, just listen to me for a second!", Rapunzel said.
"No Rapunzel, you listen to me! I'm not going to lose you to Cass so let it go, now!!!", Eugene yelled.
Both sides of the fight felt heartbreak and misunderstanding.
"I love her Eugene!!!", Rapunzel screamed her chin shaking.
"Love blinds you.", Eugene stated as tears started to form in his eyes.
Rapunzel cracked, "Well maybe my love is blinded to you, otherwise I'd see the mistake I'm making trying to talk to you at all!"
Eugene's eyes hardened, "Fine. I'll let you see.", he said coldly storming away.
Rapunzel collapsed to her knees.
What had just happened?
Her boyfriend just walked away and she had gotten into a horrible fight with him.
She watched him go as tears streamed down her cheeks.
How was she supposed to do anything if she couldn't even save her relationship with Eugene?
"I'm sorry.", she cried softly as moonlight filtered through the dark hallway windows.