Chapter Five

Sorry its late! Enjoy!

Cover by @BekkaChaos

Rhianan pulled up outside of my house the same time as I did, and the three of us got out of the cars' and made our way towards the house.

"Where's Robert? I haven't seen him all day," Rhianan asked grinning and I grimaced.

Rhianan made me a little uncomfortable when she talked about Robert. She's had a crush on him ever since we were six, and to be honest, I think he sort of liked her too. Whenever we hung out at my house, and he was around the two of them would just flirt, and tease each other like no tomorrow. It made me feel awkward, but I'd never tell her that, that's how good of a friend I am. But I just wished that they would hurry up and get together by now. They would be the cutest couple ever!

"I don't know," I say as I entered the open door that Jasmine had unlocked behind her.

I followed Jasmine in search of my mom, and after looking in her office, and the living room, we found her in the kitchen; sitting at the table scooping cookie dough onto a pan.

"Hi kids, oh, hello Rhianan," mom said once she looked up.

"Hi Mrs. H," Rhianan said smiling at my mom kindly.

"Honey please," my mom said waving her off dismissively. "Call me Alana, you know that."

I smiled at Rhianan, feeling a little sad for her.

Rhianan's mom and my mom were best friends, and have been since middle school, and about two years ago Rhianan's mom died in a horrible car crash on Rhianan's fifteenth birthday. The three of them, Rhianan's mom, dad, and her were on their way to the restaurant, on the highway when a semi driver swerved into their lane, making their car flip and crash down into the woods on the side of the road. Rhianan and her dad survived with a few scrapes, and broken bones, while their mom's side of the car smashed into a tree, instantly killing her.

I knew how much pain Rhianan was in. She wouldn't talk for weeks, and constantly had nightmares, crying herself to sleep everyday. Sometimes I would cry with her, like how my mom is another mother to her, her mother was another mother to me, my God Mother actually. She was there everyday since I was born, and to not have her around hurt a lot and I can only imagine what Rhianan was going through. What if that was my mom? I wouldn't know what to do, and because of that, Rhianan made me cherish my mom, because I didn't know how much longer I had her.

"Okay," Rhianan grinned at her.

"How have you been?" my mom asked

"Better," Rhianan said frowning a little.

"So mom, Rhianan wanted to take me for some ice cream," I said changing the subject.

"Oh, yeah," Rhianan said remembering, shooting me a grateful glance, and I just shrugged her off. I knew that she didn't like to talk about it. "Since we haven't hung out in a while,"

My mom pursed her lips, and scrunched her face up, into what we call her thinking face. She was probably thinking of a reason why I couldn't go, or a reason why we could stay here and have cookies and ice cream up in my room. Something she never let happen before when I asked to.

"Please mom," I asked pouting.

"Yeah please Alana?" Rhianan chimed in. "We're only going to be a few hours at most,"

Jasmine laughed while shaking her head at us, before walking out and upstairs to her room.

"Okay, but two hours at the most,"