Final Intermission

It has been over a year since the war, or what people are now calling the War of the Four Clans, had ended. In the span of that time, the members of the High Council were arrested for war crimes and stripped of their power. With no leader, the remaining military made it their top priority to find the next ruler who would most benefit their kingdom. After several weeks of digging through old records, it was discovered that the true royal family was the Reiss', who's power was taken from them years ago when a council system took over. And since the oldest male of the Reiss family had refused, it was asked upon Historia Reiss if she was willing to lead the nation of men and restore her families legacy. After much convincing from her friends (mostly from Ymir, who reassured the blonde that she would rule the kingdom well), Historia agreed to become ruler of the South. A few weeks passed, and on the first day of Spring Historia Reiss was crowned Queen of the South.

When things began to calm down, Annie Leonhardt, the new chieftain of the Werewolf Clan and the North, immediately ordered all the enslaved Centaurs and Satry's to be set free, and all slave labour to be stopped as soon as possible. She soon met up with Ren Khan II, the king of the Centaurs and Satry's. She apologized for all the wrongs her people committed against his, and promised that she would not be like her aunt, Elvira Leonhardt. It took a while, with much repentance on the Werewolves end, but King Ren eventually accepted their apology. With help from the Werewolves, the Centaurs and Satry's rebuilt their home, returning it to the beautiful, flourishing kingdom it once was, and for the first time in a long time, the East and the North finally saw eye to eye.

When peace was finally established between the four clans, the leaders of each met up to talk about the future of Maria. A peaceful trading system was put in place, and they all agreed that from now on, no one was banned from entering a certain kingdom because of who they were. Every person and creature from any kingdom was allowed in any kingdom, with no fear of discrimination or violence towards them.

However, with peace now established, there also must be a force to prevent a future war from happening again. To do this, a group of soldiers made up from men and women and creatures from each kingdom were put into a large group of Peacekeepers. They were tasked to snuffing out any spark of war or violence in the four clans. They were led by many strong warriors from each clan, including Mikasa Ackerman herself.

Months after the trading system was established and the Peacekeeping force was created, the four clans of Maria began to flourish with beauty and wealth. New resources were being found, trade was peaceful and friendly, and no one, no matter who they were, no longer walked in fear in another kingdom. Instead, they were greeted peacefully, free to walk among different walks of life. The soldiers who fought in the war now lived in peace. Some went on to live normal lives, while others continued to fight for peace as a Peacekeepers, and some did both.

And as for Mikasa Ackerman and Annie Leonhardt, they kept their promise to each other. As soon as everything was said and done, they traveled South and spent several weeks in a wooden cabin out in the countryside, right next to high mountains and a massive river. Annie was taken away by the South, having been in the North since the day she was born. Granted, she wasn't a huge fan of the heat, but none of that mattered. All she cared about was finally seeing this beautiful kingdom, and being with the woman she loved.

Mikasa was happy to finally be back home after years of war. She immediately put away her heavy winter coat, breaking out her lighter clothes, and made it her first priority to show Annie everything she possibly could. She took her to a market place nearby, showing her many different foods, clothes, anything you could possibly think of. Annie was mesmerized by all of it, enable to contain a wide smile at everything she saw. The ravenette took her hiking up a large mountain, where they were greeted to the most amazing few of the countyside. She took Annie swimming in the lake, which surprisingly, the blonde enjoyed, as they splashed water at each other and swam together. Mikasa even taught Annie how to plant flowers, which the blonde was fascinated by. For days they spent planting flowers in the garden, mostly purple (both of them agreed that they were each other's favourite), laughing and talking away like there was no tomorrow. Which they were relieved to say, that there actually will be.

Nighttime in the South was just as beautiful as it was during the day. It was cool at night, which Annie certainly didn't mind, and almost every night was cloudless, the stars sparkling across the night sky. Annie even pointed out that the stars seemed to shine brighter in the South, which Mikasa has giggled at. But what the pair enjoyed the most was cuddling up next to each other in the large master bedroom on the top floor. They talked, kissed, held each other and did.....other things. Sometimes, they didn't even need to talk; each other's warm, loving presence was enough. And it's safe to say that both Mikasa and Annie agree that this was one of, if not the, best moments in their lives.

But, with only a few more days left in the cabin, before they had to go back to their busy lives, Annie must gain the courage to ask Mikasa a very important question. A question that'll change both their lives forever.