48

Mikasa

"H-Hey.....Mikasa...."

Was this happening? Was this really happening? I blinked a few times, my brain trying to register what was happening right in front of me. This had to be a dream. It had to be.

You'll wake up, Mikasa. This is nothing but a bad dream. You'll wake up any second now.

But it wasn't.

She was right in front of me. Annie Leonhardt, the girl I loved. She had a weak smile on her face, blood trickling down the side of her mouth. Thick red liquid poured from her side. There was a huge gaping hole; the sword had shot right through her body.

"A...A-Annie?" I just barely choked out. I was so shocked and scared that I could barely move an inch. The pain in my ankle was the last thing on my mind now.

"Annie?!! What the hell are you doing?!" the man who I was fighting yelled. He wasn't angry like he was before. He was panicking.

"S-Stay back, Porco" Annie croaked, looking back at the man. "P-Put the sword down."

She looked back at me before clutching her side, whining in agony. Her hand was completely covered in her own blood. She fell down to her knees, but kept looking at me.

"Y-You w-were right, M-Mikasa" she rasped before coughing. "I-I s-should've....s-stayed f-for...."

By now it seemed like she was gasping for air. She was in so much pain. Her eyes were mere slits now, just barely hanging open.

"W-Wha....?" I asked, confused by what she meant. My heart nearly stopped when I saw a waterfall of tears fall from her eyes. A sob escaped her lips, more blood dripping from the side of her mouth.

"I..I-I'm.....s-so..s-sorry..."

Her eyes rolled back and closed. She let out a quiet breath before falling to the ground. Her blood flowed onto the snow in a large pool.

She was going to bleed out. She was...going to die.

I instantly snapped out of my fear and shock. I ignored my bleeding ankle and crawled towards her.

"N-No...no, no, no, no..." I gasped, as I pulled Annie onto my knees. Her body was limp, her skin as cold as ice. Her wound wouldn't stop bleeding. Very quickly, I tore apart my winter cloak and wrapped it around her waist. An almost completely round circle of red instantly appeared through the fabric.

I.....I can't lose her. Not again. Not like this.

"A-Annie....please..."

I hadn't even realized that I was crying vigorously until my tears were clouding my vision. I held onto her body tightly, the top of her head against my chin. I tried to get up but I couldn't; my whole leg was numb, pain shooting up and down.

"I-I....c-can't lose y-you.....please..." I sobbed. "D-Don't....leave m-me again..."

I lowered my ear towards her chest. There was a heartbeat, but it was very faint. She was on the verge of life and death. I tried to stand up again with her body in my arms, but a sharp lash of pain whipped through it. I let out a cry and fell back down.

She saved me. Again. Even when she knew that I was angry at her. Even when we were pretty much back to being enemies....she saved my life. I pulled her close to me, her body cold and weak.

"G-Goddammit A-Annie.....W-Why did you....?" I couldn't even finished, a throaty sob escaping my chest. I looked down at her again; her mouth was slightly parted, blood still dripping from the side. Her skin was just about as pale as the ground beneath her.