14

Mikasa awoke to the sound of a distant bird chirping. It was perched on the tip of a branch of a dying tree just outside the cave, projecting it's beautiful morning call into the vast snowy plains near the mountain. Letting out a small yawn, she sluggishly sat up and stretched out her arms, some of her joints cracking from the previous days activities. Once the ravenette got her eyes open, they were immediately greeted with the sight of the sun's bright rays. She groaned a little.

"You're finally awake."

Mikasa yelped at sudden voice. She whipped her head, but relaxed when she saw it was only Annie. She was sitting by the crackling fire, much like the night before. The only difference was the large stick in her hand, and through it were two things Mikasa guessed were rabbits, skinned and everything, cooking above the flames.

"You're a heavy sleeper" Annie said. "The day's half over already."

Mikasa rubbed her eye. "Really?"

She had guessed that already. The sun didn't normally rise in the North till noon, so she had a feeling that she had slept for a while

"Where's Eren?" she asked.

"Taking care of his chores, as he put it. Here" Annie handed her one of the cooked rabbits on a separate stick. Mikasa took it, blew on the freshly cooked meat, then took a bite. Annie began eating hers, this time in a rather polite way. Mikasa was actually surprised to see her eating with her hands, rather than tearing it apart with her massive canines.

"How's your stomach?" she asked.

"Better" Annie traced the place on her abdomen with her fingers.

"Can I see?"

Annie nodded, then rolled up her shirt. Mikasa moved closer and looked at her wound; the bandage covering it had some blood residue, but other than that it seemed to be fine.

"Looks good. I was worried that the stitches wouldn't hold" the ravenette said. "I better change this though." She pointed at the bandage.

"No, you don't have to. It's fine" the blonde protested. Mikasa didn't hear that though; she had already gotten up and grabbed a spare roll of bandages from the kit. She walked back over.

"Hold still."

The black haired girl started patching up the wound with a fresh white bandage. It was only now that Annie noticed how smooth Mikasa's hands were. Her soft fingers felt like a feather tracing across her stomach. She held back a shudder.

"There."

Once she was finished, the ravenette put the roll back where it was. She took a seat right next to the blonde.

"Thanks" Annie said.

"No problem."

There was silence between them for a few minutes. Annie sensed a wave of worry radiating off of the girl next to her, yet she couldn't yet figure out why. Mikasa, on the other hand, kept on thinking about what she heard last night.

"Annie?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm going to say something, and you have to promise me that you won't get angry, okay?"

The blonde furrowed her brows. "Okay. I promise."

"I heard you and Eren talking last night."

Annie widened her eyes, but let her continue.

"I'm sorry. I.....was awake and I couldn't help but listen. I heard that as soon as you're feeling better....you plan on leaving."

Annie didn't say anything, her eyes drifting to the ground. She couldn't look her in the eye right now.