23

After their quick yet formal introduction, Annie, Mikasa, Ymir and Historia all sat near the fireplace in the old cabin. They were all eating some cooked rabbits on a stick. While they ate, Mikasa and Annie took the time to tell the other girls how they got here in the first place, and why in fact an Ackerman and a Werewolf were traveling together.

"Wow" Ymir said to Mikasa in disbelief. "This new leader of yours sounds crazy."

"Is he the one who hurt you, Annie?" Historia asked, pointing to the other blondes face.

"Yeah" Annie rubbed one of the scrapes on her cheek. "He wanted to get info out of me. Of course, I wouldn't let him have it."

Mikasa couldn't help but smile a bit. She was relieved that Annie shook bad things off so quickly, and made it seem like everything was okay. Yet, even though that made her feel at ease sometimes, there were other times it scared her.

"So you guys are fugitives now?" Ymir pondered.

"I guess you could say that" the ravenette sighed. "What about you two? How'd you meet each other?"

Both Ymir and Historia looked at one another, as if speaking to each other through expressions. Eventually, they nodded.

"I used to be part of the same wolf pack as Annie. We've known each other since we were pups" Ymir started.

Annie nodded.

I guess she knows this part already, Mikasa thought.

"But, when our new chieftain showed up, everything changed. Basically, he saw me as nothing but a waist of space. Weak, pathetic and cowardly. That's what he called me."

"Even though that wasn't true" Annie interjected.

"Eventually, he got tired of me," Ymir continued, "and banished me from the pack. I wasn't allowed to return. Ever."

"That seems rather harsh" Mikasa commented.

"I know" the brunette sat back, her hands under her head. "But I guess nothing's fair in nature.

"Anyway, I spent the next ten years of my life traveling around. When the war started, there wasn't many places to go, so I just walked around the North. I kinda seemed like a scavenger, now that I look back on it.

"I met Historia about a year ago."

The small blonde nodded. "I saw her for the first time in a small town. I was looking around town when I accidentally bumped into her. We've been together since."

"So, you two just travel around together?" Annie asked.

"Pretty much. We're like dust in the wind, her and I" said Ymir.

"Where'd you come from, Historia?" Mikasa turned to the blonde.

"Rose City" she replied.

"You're from the capital?"

"Yes. It was a bit too crowded for me. Plus....." she trailed off, "my father was a drunk. He'd rather spend his money buying and drinking booze than taking care of his only daughter. So, I left. I haven't been back since."

"You just...left?"

"Yeah. I wandered from place to place; I visited a view small towns in the South, until I finally reached the Northern border."

"How'd you get in?" Annie cut in. "Normally wolves live right near the border line."

"I sneaked past them. After that, I've managed to go through the North without being noticed by Werewolves. I guess they were too focused on the war."