51

Mikasa

The full moon was shining brightly in the sky by the time Annie and I got back to camp. After a long, emotional and tiresome day, we both decided that some shut eye would go us both some good. After saying a brief hello to Annie's friends, who I now know as Reiner, Bertholdt, and Pieck, in addition to Marcel, we both retreated into a spare tent Zeke set up.

I was exhausted. So much so that I could feel the bags under my eyes getting bigger and bigger by the second. Annie must've felt the same because as soon as her head hit that pillow, she was out like a light. But not before she allowed me to join her, wrapping her arms around my waist and resting her chin against my shoulder. My heart skipped a beat, a shiver running down my spine as I felt her hot breath against my neck. I missed this feeling so much; Annie's strong arms around me, holding me so close. It felt like nothing could harm me. I lightly brushed her hand, her skin always so cold, yet giving me a feeling of warmth. It was so weird.

Yet, even though I was beyond tired and back in my girlfriend's embrace, I couldn't sleep a wink.

I groaned in frustration. Something has been nagging at the back of my brain. An unanswered question, something that's been bothering me. But I didn't want to think of it now; I wanted to sleep! I sigh, freezing up a little when I felt Annie's body shift. She still has a strong hold on me, as if I'd simply vanish if she let go. I couldn't help but smile, a blush forming on my cheeks.

Being as slow and quiet as I could, I carefully removed Annie's arms from my waist and sat up. I saw her face scrunch up a little, groaning in frustration, before she settled down. I sigh, standing up and walking over to a bowl of cold water with a cloth next to it on a desk. I place my hands in the cold liquid, causing my fingers to tingle. I cup some water and splash it on my face. After taking another deep breath, I wipe off the water with the cloth.

I should be happy. I finally got Annie back. My Annie. We're okay now and both alive. Yet, I couldn't get rid of a feeling creeping in my heart. It was confusion, dread, worriedness. Something wasn't adding up to me.

"Mmh....Mikasa?"

I heard the bedsheets rumple. I turn around and saw Annie was now awake- well, half awake to be exact. Her hair was a tangled mess. When our eyes finally met, a smiled at her.

"Sorry. Did I wake you?"

"......I just noticed you weren't here" I heard her mumble, her voice low from sleep. She sat up and stretched. "Is something wrong?"

"No, I just.....couldn't sleep" I lied. There was something wrong. I just couldn't bring myself to say it.

"Is it your leg?"

"No, it's okay" I shake my head. "I was just....thinking about too much, I guess."

Annie didn't reply, but she looked at me with concern. I swear I'm the worst liar in the world. Or maybe she read my mind. Either way I could tell Annie knew something was up with me.

I crawled back into bed, placing myself as close to her as I could get. I rested my head on her shoulder, her arms already around me again. Her arms felt tense though, and I sighed again.

"If you're going to say something, say it" I mumbled.

I heard Annie sigh this time. "You're worried about something. You've been thinking about it all night."