Draco glared at her, shaking his head not to say anything.

Maurelle noticed their exchange, "What?"

"Oh, nothing." Draco said.

"Okay?" Maurelle said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Good evening, children. Now, we have two changes in staffing this year. We're pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank... who'll be taking Care of Magical Creatures... while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave. We also wish to welcome our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher... Professor Dolores Umbridge. And I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the professor good luck. Now, as usual, our caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you for what he says is the 462nd time that he had annually updated list of various banned items, usually introduced by our humorous experts...Fred and George Weasley" Dumbledore said.

The twins stood up and took a bow as the rest of the school cheered.

"...which are posted in an extensive list on Mr. Flich's door." Dumbledore continued.

All of a sudden, Umbridge got up and started speaking,"Thank you, headmaster, for those kind words of welcome. And how lovely to see all your bright... happy faces smiling up at me. I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends. The Ministry of Magic has always considered... the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. Although each headmaster... has brought something new to this historic school... progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved... perfect what can be perfected... and prune practices that ought to be prohibited."

"Thank you, Professor Umbridge. That was really most illuminating." Dumbledore said.

"Illuminating my arse." Maurelle mumbled.

After the speech, everyone had their first feast of the year. Tables were filled with enormous amounts of food and desserts. The ceiling was a beautiful starry night and ghosts floated above. Maurelle and Draco decided to leave early and venture off into the halls to their common room. They sat on the couches nearby the fireplace.

"I can't believe another year has gone by." Maurelle said.

"I know, it's all going by too fast." Draco said.

"What have you been up to over the summer?" she said.

"Nothing much, just helping my father around. And you?" he said.

"I've been practicing on my magic." she said.

"You never stop, do you?" he said.

"Of course not. In times like this, we have to be prepared for anything." she said.

"If you-know-who comes to power, maybe it'd be for the better. Get rid of those filthy mudbloods." he said.

Maurelle slapped the side of his arm.

"Ow!" he said.

"Are you crazy?! If he comes to power this is more than just getting rid of muggle-borns. He'll rid of supporters of any kind. He will make this world a sadistic place." she said.

"Okay, okay! I was just joking. You know that." he said.

"Draco, you don't have to believe everything your father tells you." she said.

"What?" he said.

"I'm just saying if you continue to follow into something you aren't familiar with, you may find yourself in serious trouble." she said.