Chapter 23

It has been a few weeks into Maurelle's training. Maurelle still needs improvement, but she is slowly getting there.

It is early in the morning and Maurelle dreads to get out of bed for training. When she finally does, feeling groggy, she walks into the kitchen. Augustana is making their breakfast, also in her pajamas.

"Usually you are already dressed up at this time, Augustana." Maurelle said as she rubbed her eyes.

"Yes, but I have decided that we should have a break or so every now and then. Though you have a long way to go, it is also important to enjoy yourself." Augustana said.

"But I want to keep training." Maurelle complained, "You said it so yourself, I need to improve. How can I go about, when I clearly need to practice?"

Augustana sighed, "You are definitely like your father." she mumbled to herself.

"What was that?" Maurelle asked.

"Nothing. Now, if that is how you feel, go ahead. But I need a break." Augustana said.

"Then who is going teach me?" Maurelle said.

Augustana thought about someone for a second and realized the perfect person to teach Maurelle, "I know. Ava. But she won't be as nice as me. She is a perfectionist."

"Good. Then that is who I need." Maurelle said.

"But I do need to supervise her too." Augustana thought out loud.

"Why?" Maurelle asked.

"I'm afraid she might kill you. Unintentionally, of course." Augustana made Maurelle's eyes wide, "Just exaggerating, of course...or maybe not." she chuckled.

Augustana called Ava and within an hour, Ava apparated to their place.

"Alright." Ava said, "Let us see what, Augustana has taught you."

Maurelle and Ava stood aout 10 feet away from each other. Augustana just sat by her porch, watching the two.

Maurelle started off, "Stupefy! " light flashed out of her wand and towards Ava.

Ava blocked it with ease and non-verbally casted her spells.

Maurelle couldn't keep up and was hit with Ava's spell. She flew back and hit the ground. Augustana still on the porch, "I told you she might kill you!" she yelled.

Ava slowly walked over to Maurelle, "Disappointing. That was only three spells I casted and you are already down? Are you sure you are the daughter of the most powerful witch? And the daughter of one of the most feared Dark Wizard? Tsk, tsk, tsk. Why do you keep trying? Why don't you just give up already?"

Maurelle got up and furiously pointed her wand towards Ava. A red light appeared out of the wand and to Ava. Ava was sent flying and was gasping for air. Augustana ran to Ava's aid. When Augustana arrived Ava was no longer in pain.

Augustana glared at Maurelle, " What in the bloody hell were you thinking using a spell like that? I know I said that she might kill you, but I was only joking."

"I-I don't know what I did? I just got so mad at Ava for telling me those things, I don't know what got over me." Maurelle said.

"It's alright, Augustana." Ava finally having the strength to speak, " I haven't felt that pain in years."

"What did I even do?" Maurelle said.

"That was one of the Unforgivable Curse. What you performed on Ava was the Cruciatus Curse, 'Crucio' . When performed you mean to cause your victim in enormous amount of pain. In order to cast it, the castor must want to feel joy in their victim's torture." Augustana said.

Maurelle was shocked. She didn't mean to intentionally hurt Ava, or did she? At the moment she felt good about it, but also felt guilt.

"I think that's enough practice today." Augustana said as she helped Ava walk her inside the house.

Maurelle went to her room and slightly left her door open just to hear Augustana and Ava's conversation.

"This isn't good." Augustana said.

"She'll be fine." Ava said.

"Ava! She is only 11 years old! Why would an 11 year old child perform Dark Magic?!" Augustana said.

"And Iris didn't?" Ava said.

Augustana's mood changed, when Iris' name was mentioned. Her tone was softer, "All I am trying to do is to prevent Maurelle from making the same mistakes Iris did."

"You can't hide her from everything, not for long. Let her decide whether she wants to make the same mistakes as her mother. Or follow the path of her father." Ava said.

"Are you crazy?! With her father. We promised Iris that we wouldn't let her go near him." Augustana said.

"I said of her father, not join him. Besides, didn't we fail her when she was dealing with the Sorcerer's stone at Hogwarts?" Ava said.

"You're right, but then again, I believe what Iris meant was when he is in his full state." Augustana said.

"Yes, but that won't come anytime soon. Look Augustana, what I am trying to say is that she needs to figure out stuff on her own. Make her own decisions. Let her feel guilt, remorse, regrets. She has time. If Iris were here, I am sure she would have done the same." Ava said.

Maurelle stopped listening and thought about what they said. She layed on her bed with her thoughts all over the place. She was so into thought that she fell asleep.

Augustana checked up on Maurelle and found her asleep on her bed. She closed the door and returned back to Ava. She casted a silencing spell just to be sure.

"So how is...Iris?" Augustana asked Ava.

"Well, she is pretty much the same, just as she has always been for the last what? 50 years or so?" Ava said.

"I want to see her." Augustana said.

"You know you can't, Augustana. You are not authorized. If there is anything happening with her, you know I will tell you." Ava said.

" If only we knew what was going on with her." Augustana said.

" Her body slowly gets warmer. Every decade her temperature changes. Still, no signs of life." Ava said.

"What happens if she does come back?" Augustana said.

"Augustana-" Ava was cut off.

"What if, Ava?" Augustana said.

"I don't know, Augustana. Just like I've been saying to you over and over. Let her be. Let her rest in peace. Think about it this way, she has Nicollete." Ava said.

Augustana smiled, "Nicollete. She must have been lonely up there."

"Fleamont, he's there too. Christopher, Abella, Septimus, Arcturas, and more. They are all in a better place. All together." Ava said.