◈ Chapter 52: Triathlon / Death Cooking ◈

The triathlon was the first match, starting with a swim. The chefs leave Rice Beach and loop around Takoyaki Island to pick up ingredients when they get back to land. From there, they transport those ingredients on bikes and travel across Tofu Wasteland, an area with a rigid ground having the texture of frozen tofu.

Once they passed this part, they start running and must pass the Konpeitou Ridge, covered in slender spikes. They pick up tools at the cooking utensils station located at the sheer cliffs of Okaka Hill, and then they'll start cooking when they reach the cooking station at the goal. There, the chefs that complete the 50 most delicious dishes will progress to the next round.

"Now then, please begin the broadcast report!"

"You've got it! We're here at Cooking Island's famous spot, Rice Beach. If you take a look at the white sand, you'll realize it's actually all grains of rice!" Tina smiled brightly at the camera. "Triathlon Cooking will be starting from this beach"

The chefs were gathered at the starting point. Some of them like you and Komatsu decided to wear a swimsuit for the occasion, while others didn't seem to care that much of getting their clothes wet. Or so you thought.

Your friend was still a nervous wreck next to you, and honestly, you thought you weren't better. Judging by how unnatural you looked in the broadcast, that is. A sudden gunfire pulled you out of your thoughts, and you realized that it was the cue to go. You almost stumbled face first into the water when the chefs pushed their way through to enter the sea. The best you could do was dog paddle, while the others could practically run on the surface. This showed you how much stamina and experience you were lacking, but you didn't let it discourage you. You were a bit worried for your friend's safety, though, seeing his limbs flail around.

Still, the two of you managed to complete the first part even if you were in last place. You heaved a sigh as you got out of the sea, checking out the ingredients that were left.

"At least we were able to make it without drowning" you murmured, earning an exasperated nod from the smaller chef next to you.

"I think I need more of Toriko-san's strength..." Komatsu whined.

You deadpanned when you heard a strange sound behind you, and you turned in time to see something - or rather, someone dashing right in your direction. You yelped in fright as you fell on your backside with Komatsu, glaring in bewilderment at the newcomer: a tengu. You gaped at the red-skinned man, quickly recognizing who it was exactly. He ignored the both of you, walking in the direction of the ingredients in disinterest.

"U-Um...M-Might you happen to be....B-Brunch-san?!" wondered Komatsu with starry eyes.

"Huh? Who're you?" he looked over his shoulder, glaring at the two of you.