◈ Chapter 40: Feral ◈

What you thought would be a marvelous morning quickly turned into one of your worst nightmares. It first started with the loud commotion coming from below, before you heard people screaming in the streets. Your eyes shut open abruptly, wandering to a window to see that a fire has started outside. You panicked, jumping from your bed and pulling on a night robe that you fastened as quick as possible. You made your way downstairs in a record time of five seconds, heading to your living room.

You let out a scream of disbelief when you saw that one of the four walls was teared down, giving a not-so-nice view on your street where your neighbors were practically running in circles as they yelled incoherent things. Something about a huge beast, and your mind began to wander and turn around thoughts that filled you with dread when you realized that Dino was nowhere to be found. Inside your house that is, because you could clearly see him on the other side of the street, destroying a whole house with his tail.

"Dino!"

The wyvern was beyond furious for an unknown reason, lashing out at everything around him. The once white feathers were now completely black, shifting sometimes to their original color for a brief moment. His eyes were a feral red and orange, lightnings reflecting behind them. You tried to get as close as possible to Dino, but the state he was in wasn't too reassuring. Your face paled when you saw a mother and her child trying to run away from the Thunderous Wyvern, but the beast had them in his sight.

Dino released a ferocious roar before charging at them, feathers standing on edge. The woman screamed in fear, embracing her son much more tightly as she realized that she couldn't outrun the wyvern. She braced herself for the next attack, but you already took action by standing in front of them with your arms outstretched. Dino completely went still, stopping just a feet away from you.

"Dino! What are you doing?!" you shouted angrily. "What's wrong with you?!!"

"SKYAWK!!!!!" was his response, eyes glowing.

The mother took this moment of distraction to run away while the attention of the Thunderous Wyvern was focused on you. You also had time to take in your surroundings. The whole town was in disarray: in only a short amount of time, lots of houses were destroyed and multiple fires started. Dark marks were littering the street and the grass, as if a thunderstorm passed there not too long ago. That's probably what Dino brought, though.

"Dino..." you started, much calmer. "Does it hurt somewhere?..."

The wyvern took one step forward, and then suddenly swung his tail to knock you off of your feet. You groaned in pain as your head collided with the concrete, your sight becoming blurry as your pet hovered your form. Dino gritted his teeth at you, snarling and growling like a mad dog. He opened his beak, perhaps to rip your face off when he let out a shriek. You saw a syringe poking out from the middle of his back as the wyvern fell forward, out like a light.