◈ Chapter 35: Gilamesh ◈

"That can't be it!" Naboris shook her head as she glared at the Toxic Gilamesh. "This form doesn't match at all the description in the tales that old fart used to tell me!"

"B-But...This is a Toxic Gilamesh, r-right?!" you stammered, eyeing the warrior from the side. "There is red powder coming from it!"

The gila monster's heavy footsteps echoed all around the room as it walked closer to you. The dark and intimidating eyes of the beasts stared at you and you quickly adverted your own from doing the same with it. You felt that if you gazed into those empty orbs, your soul would be snatched by them. Its attention was now all on you two. Naboris charged at the beast with a war shout, making the first move before Gilamesh could. The gila monster roared in turn and lifted one limb in her direction, swatting her like she was a mere fly.

This created a storm of dust that pushed you backward and a few levels down, on a lonely platform among the lake. You landed on the hard surface with a grunt of pain, rubbing the tender spot behind your head. As you used your hands as leverage to stand up, they hit a broken bottle that rolled closer to you.

"What...is this?" you murmured in confusion, taking a closer look at the bottle.

The insignia on it wasn't readable, and impossible to know what it contained before it was broken. You looked back at the sand amazonian who was battling against Gilamesh, her moves looking more like a dance than actual fighting. She easily dodged the fast attacks of the gila monster, but every time it managed to hit her at the last second when her mind began to be preoccupied by random thoughts.

You blinked when you heard a faint sound to your right, and you stared in this direction to see the Sanctuary Tortoise who was staring at you directly. Her head lolled a bit, before mentioning downward. Doing as told, you thought you saw something glowing in the water close to the shore next to her. A round form with a shape similar to-

"An egg?!" you exclaimed out loud.

You plunged inside the lake and swam to the shore to examine the egg closer. It was definitely a Tortoasis's, with the size and all, and the soft look the Sanctuary Tortoise was giving to it was enough to tell you it was hers. You couldn't help but let your hands caress the shell, surprised at the warmth escaping from it. You felt something moving inside, and you smiled, forgetting totally about the Toxic Gilamesh.

"You were waiting for this day... weren't you?" you asked, gazing at the Sanctuary Tortoise. "Ever since you arrived here"