◈ Chapter 39: Scaled Trees ◈

"S-Stay away, you...you...you stinky devils!!"

There was no way they couldn't be aware of how smelly they were. All the customers had fled the restaurant the moment Komatsu and Toriko stepped inside after being gone on a journey to get the Dodurian Bomb. The world's stinkiest ingredient who went extinct 300 years ago, but Teppei has recklessly revived it. Its wretched odor as once again returned to the world.

The Dodurian Bomb can only be eaten once it's ripe, and its stench is, at its worst, a consequence of it becoming tastier; the fouler its stench, the better it tastes. It can even be smelled hundred of kilometers radius, releasing a devastating gaseous explosion that spreads and is capable of killing vegetation, waking hibernating animals, and killing fish in local seas upon touching the ground. And now that they had returned, the stench was attached to them like a second skin.

"Come on, (y/n)-chan...You can't keep me out of my own kitchen-" Komatsu said, but sweated as you gave him the stink eye that scared the hell out of him.

"Get rid of this awful smell! I can't even breathe!" you yelled.

"Oi, Usagi. Do you still have some of that Cocodile's milk-" Sunny entered the restaurant, only to freeze when he caught the scent of the Dodurian Bomb. "SO GROSS-URG!"

"GYAHH! SUNNY-SAN!" you panicked as the Heavenly King fell backward and lost consciousness on the floor of Hotel Gourmet.

"Are we going to have to live as super-smelly characters from now on?" Toriko sweatdropped.

"Hell no! Off with you! Out! Out!"

You used your hammer to push the two men out of the restaurant before they infected the whole place with the stinky smell. While you were relieved to see them after a long month without hearing news, you had your limits. Returning inside the restaurant, you sighed as you examined the empty chairs and tables. It wasn't their fault for scaring off the customers, but still.

"So Toriko and Komatsu-kun made a stop here, didn't they?" hummed an amused voice behind you. "The smell still lingers"

"Honestly...I'm lucky that you're not bringing me on those kinds of trips, Coco" you replied, smiling as you watched your partner coming up to you.

"Not so fast. You risk to jinx yourself" the Gentleman grinned, before arching an eyebrow at the unconscious and sprawled form of Sunny in the background. "Sunny? I was wondering why the floor seemed so soft to walk on, but now I understand"

"Coco!"

"I was wondering if you would be interested in visiting the Scaled Trees. They say that the ingredients you find inside are fully ripe before the beginning of spring..."