and he did. he loved her thoughtfulness and how she brought him things that she knew he would love and would actually use.

she knew him so well.

she smiled proudly and kissed him again. she'd missed the feeling, they hadn't properly kissed all day, barely hugged because they'd been out with company most of the time. he moved the notebook to sit beside him and placed his hands on her cheeks deepening the kiss. she smiled as he slipped his tongue into her mouth and hummed at the feeling. he was about to pull her hips closer to him but the phone rung making them both groan.

"just one minute okay, and then we carry on," she promised pecking his lips again and jumping up to the telephone.

"hello?" she answered cheerily masking her breathlessness.

"penelope?" paul's voice rung from the other side.

"this is she," she joked, "is everything okay paul?"

paul still hadn't spoken to john since he left the band, "yeah everything's fine, look i was talking to the boys and we know obviously that it's johns birthday today so we were thinking that he could come out tonight to celebrate. just a lads night again, y'know like old times?" he explained, "i think i owe it to john."

penelope smiled nodding, "yeah of course, let me get john."

john perked up at the mention of his name, penelope covered the telephone so paul couldn't hear, "it's paul, come on."

he instantly jumped up and took the phone from her. penelope left them to talk on the phone as she tidied up the mess they made in her bedroom from the food and wrapping paper.

she then dropped onto her bed closing her eyes whilst she waited for john to finish up.

after about five minutes she felt the bed dip either side of her body, she fluttered her eyes open to find john hovering half of his body over the top of her. his fists were balled up as he balanced on them either side of her body and he kneeled to one side of her.

"how was that?" she asked placing her hands on his forearms.

"good, the boys invited me to town for a few hours but i said no."

penelope frowned, "why did you say no?"

"i don't want to leave you."

she rolled her eyes, "john please go," she said smiling, "you deserve a good night out without me for once."

he pouted, "but you make the nights good."

she leaned up pressing her lips to his gently then lay back down, "please, it's your birthday, then come back to me afterwards."

he thought for a minute, "are you sure?"

she nodded, "of course."

he leaned back down kissing her, "you've made my birthday so special pen," he said pulling away and nudging her nose with his.

"you made mine special too remember," she reminded him, "now go. go have fun, lock me in and take my key with you."

he smiled and nodded, "okay. i love you."