11 | alliances

Alliances and partnerships produce stability when they reflect realities and interests.
- Stephen Kinzer

───────────────────

───────────────────

"What did you just asked me?"

Chan stood close to Mark with an intensive gaze. He clenched both of his fists tight to where he can feel his small nails sinking into his skin. Chan could feel his heart race in agitation and nervousness. He didn't know how to feel now that Mark knows Yuri is his guardian. Mark wasn't intimidated by Chan's response. It confirmed his hypothesis after testing his small experiment. Instead, he took a step back, recognizing his response. He soon folded his arms across his chest.

"Man, I'm sorry," Mark spoke in English. "I kinda figured it out. I knew that Yuri cares for students who are orphans like a fairy godmother or something. She probably saw something in you to protect you right?"

Chan couldn't believe Mark figured it out so quickly. Before all of his members in NCT 127. Before his friends. Before Mina. Chan hesitated to answer, but he didn't want to confirm Mark's suspicion. It would've been like giving away to a spoiler.

"It's because of my background. She knew who my dad was." Chan mumbled.

So there's more to it...

Mark studied Chan. Chan was tense around Mark. He even refused to look Chan in the eye. Mark placed his hand on his shoulder.

"Look, I'm not going to spill this really huge secret to everyone." Mark stared into Chan's eyes. Chan noticed the sincerity in Mark's voice. A person who keeps his word.

"I'm not like everyone else."

"Are you sure? You know what they say, birds of a feather flock together." Chan narrowed his eyes at Mark, folding his arms across his chest. The words stung Mark like a cat scratch.

"Dude, I literally got into a fight with my leader yesterday because he was treating me like shit! The only person who stuck up for me was my friend!" Mark snapped. He sighed as his hand ran through his thick, black hair.

"It's okay if you don't believe me. I'm seriously not going to let everyone know." Mark held up his hands in frustration. He began drifting away from Chan. "I gotta go. I'll see you around."

After Mark closed the door behind him, Chan unclenched his fists. The small marks appeared soft red on the palm of his hands. Chan groaned. He didn't know who to trust anymore. He was too tired to think and began walking out of the lounge room quietly.