01 | persuasion & fear

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."

- Mark Twain

___________

It's been years since Chan's grandmother, Hyesoo, has died. At 11, Hyesoo left Chan and the world. This time, it was much harder for Chan not to cry. His grandmother raised him in place of his mother and kept her promise.

Soon, he became a foster child. Waiting for the right moment to be adopted, Chan soon met his new parents at age 13. It was an older couple who lost their chances of raising a child. Having new guardians and entering high school, Chan could breathe and live a normal life like before with his grandmother. Unfortunately, that didn't last until the start of sophomore year in high school. During a house invasion, his parents were murdered after refusing to give money. Plus, it all happened while Chan was upstairs, just like what happened previously with his birth parents.

He was able to escape again like last time and this time, child services were on the run for him. He didn't want to become a foster kid again. He was only 15. Only three more years left until turning 18.

Chan didn't know why it always happens to him. Everyone he truly cares for has died. Except for Nayeon who moved back to Korea before he began high school. He wished Nayeon was still here so he can vent to her.

On the train, he was talking to a young man named Chris Arlington. He was young and Korean just like him. Only 22 years old and a bartender. He seemed reliable to Chan and wanted to get to know him more. Chris left his wallet on the train and Chan was ready to find him after the next stop he got off. So he waited for the next day. On a new print of the news in the newspaper, the paper declared Chris dead after tragically dying in a motorcycle accident.

Stuck with his wallet, he started to take on his identity. Chan was able to get a home with decent rent to pay, a job, and a new library card to continue his reading. Sure it's identity theft, but Chan could hardly care because he was trying to get by. It was the only way to survive. He hasn't seen Dongwan since the traumatic night years ago.

Now, Chan rests his elbows on the countertop, listening to his regular customer's, Virginia, problem. A married woman who doesn't know how to compromise with her mother-in-law. "I just don't get her. It's like she doesn't want me to be with her son." Virginia sadly responded.

"Maybe she's not ready to let go of her son yet. It takes time." Chan shrugged. Virginia narrowed her eyes at him with a smirk. "You seem to know a lot for a 23-year-old... especially with marriage."

"Read it in a book. It's quite common, actually." Chan wiped the shot glasses with his drying rag. He placed them in the glass container underneath the sink of the bar. Chan looked at Virginia. "Another round?"