Tough

Dallas

She gives me a weak smile."It's okay Dallas."

I follow her father and mother and take the closest chair next to her room. I promised I would stay in the same room as her, I promised. I close my eyes and sigh deeply, ruffling up my hair with both hands.

"You see her as more than a friend, don't you?"

I freeze and look around me.

"Don't worry, my husband is getting us something to eat and drink." Her mother smiles at me.

I stay silent. I can't tell her I fell for her daughter the first day I laid my eyes on her. That I want her to be with me instead of that douchebag with her right now.

She switches chairs and sits on the one next to me. "You don't have to say it out loud. It's obvious. The way you look at her, care for her, and even want to protect her against her boyfriend. That's enough." She lets out a small laugh. "I can't blame Matt for not liking you."

My eyebrows furrow and I look at Nova's mom.

"I'm her mother Dallas, I know everything." She turns to face me better. "You do understand that if they break up, you'll still have to be patient. And I'm not saying that when she gets over him you have a chance. But please, don't take advantage of her vulnerability. We both know she has a soft spot for you."

I don't know if I should take this as an insult or good advice. I nod. "I won't, I could never hurt her in that way."

She lays her hand on my arm and squeezes it."Don't make promises you can't be sure to keep Dallas." She rises and sits back in the chair she was first in.

What the hell does that mean? Don't make promises you can't be sure to keep?

A can of soda is given to me and also a cinnamon roll. I thank her father and he sits in the chair opposite me. Great. And now what, we are going to drink, eat and watch a door?

*

We broke up. That's the first thing Matt says when he comes out and walks to her parents. Nova's mom jumps up and hugs Matt. She tells him something I can't hear and hurries into Nova's room.

What should I do, go in, stay out and wait for permission?

The conversation between Matt and her father catches my attention. Guess I'm staying out here.

"She will come back on this. Give her time. Give her some space. She will come to her senses and realize that this was the wrong decision."

"I'm not sure, Nova is hard-headed. I wish I called her that night and prevent this mess."

"Me too Matthew, me too. Unfortunately, we can't turn back time. I'm just really thankful they didn't need another angel up there."

"I'm sorry you and Claudia have to go through this. I think it's better if I leave."

Yes, Matt! Finally, you got it.

"You're not a bad person Matthew. We'll keep in touch, okay? I have faith."

He gives Matt a pat on the shoulder and a small hug. He leaves after they nod at each other, ignoring me completely. I never knew he and her parents were close. I thought they only met after new years

Suddenly, a cry that could chill your bones comes out of Nova's room. We, her father and I, don't hesitate and barge in.

Nova is rocking herself back and forth, arms wrapped around her legs, head buried between her knees. She lets out another cry, one you hear when you go to a funeral. One filled with the unbearable pain caused by losing someone you'll never be able to see, speak or touch again.