9 only lies

Nova

"What?" I ask Hannah out of breath.

I don't need to hear it again, though. For some reason, my brain wants a confirmation on something that couldn't be clearer.

Dallas is in love with me?

I try to put the pieces together in my mind. Was I that blind all the time. Did he flirt with me and why didn't I see it?

Hannah places her hand on my cheek, slapping me lightly. "Are you okay? I think there is no blood left in your face."

My hands fly to my hair, clutching the roots firmly. "No, I'm not okay! You should have told me. How long did you know?"

"I heard it today, I swear! Jaimy told me at lunch that Dallas was going to make a move because of something you have said. About trying harder or something like that? He wanted me to know in case you would reject him and things would turn awkward."

"Fuck, Hannah! You don't think this is awkward enough. I was grinding him five minutes ago! I would never have done that if I knew how he feels."

"You don't feel the same about him then?" the disappointment is written all over her face.

"Hannah, we are friends. We are colleagues." I point out.

She rolls her eyes. "And that, my chica is dodging the question."

She is right. How do I feel about him? Should I give it a chance, even if Matt is still on my mind?

God, what a mess. I slump against the tiled wall, hoping the cold feeling of them gives my brain the refreshment to think clear. Hannah is staring at me, waiting for an answer.

I close my eyes and pinch the bridge of my nose, "I did like him, to be honest." I confess, "The first month I acted like a stupid teenager around him. He didn't show any signs he was interested in me, too. So I shoved it in the back of my mind because I was a hundred percent sure we were in the friend zone and I forced myself to stop thinking about him that way."

Hannah's face light's up, squealing in a high-pitched voice, "So you do like him!"

I groan in frustration, ”You stopped listening after my first sentence, didn't you?"

She smiles her sweetest smile and shrugs, causing a small smile to appear on my face.

"You know that I ship the two of you, right? But what do you want, Nova?"

A loud whine escapes me, "I don't know." and how am I supposed to? Never in a million years, I would have believed that Dallas and I could be a thing. Something that could become a reality, not just a daydream. Now that it is an option, I have no clue what to do.

Damn, I need time.

I'm already dreading the conversation I need to have from my decision.

"I should go talk to him. Tell him I need time to think and hope it won't be awkward after that. And I need to say sorry for my little rubbing dance, probably giving him false hope right now."

My best friend nods, "We should go and find him if that's how you feel."

Hannah grabs my wrist before I can walk away.  "Promise me that you will think about it. And think, not just a second. That you aren't dismissing him because you're afraid it will ruin your friendship or because you are too afraid to lower your walls. He is crazy about you and you will feel like the luckiest girl in the world if he is anything like his brother."

I smile because of her small sales talk for Dallas. "I promise. Now please can we go find Dallas before I lose the guts to let him down."

We go back to our booth, finding only Jaimy there talking to one of his friends. Hannah interrupts him impatient as she is and we learn that Dallas should be still on the dance floor.