I'll Kill You

Matt

I take a seat in the waiting room of the veterinarian and put my phone back on. Bear, the dumbass ate a cell battery. Lucky for him I saw him eat it, or else he could have died. Alita was about to ring the doorbell when I rushed out. I told her to wait inside for Nova.

Dammit, I forgot to send her a message to tell her I'm at the vet and only Alita is at mine.

Right away my phone starts to vibrate, flashing Nova's picture on the screen. "Hey sweetie, are you.."

"Matt?!" A male voice interrupts me. I look at the screen and check if I saw it wrong. No, it's Nova's id. "Who is this?"

"This is Dallas, why didn't you pick up! Jeez, we've been calling you non-stop for the last hour. You need to come to the hospital, Nova was in an accident with her motorcycle."

"What! No, no, no." I fist my hair in panic. "How is she? Please, tell me her life isn't in danger!"

Please, don't say that.

"I don't know man. She was brought in unconscious and they took her away before we could see her. Just come, okay."

He ends the call and I'm frozen on the spot, staring blankly at my phone. I feel like this is a bad dream I need to wake up from. My phone starts vibrating again, showing me all the missed calls and texts. Fuck, it's fucking real!

Bloody hell, put yourself together Matt.

I rush out and realize I didn't let the assistant know I'm not coming back. I rush back and ask her to keep bear for the night. At first, she didn't want to, because it's against protocol.

Fuck off with your protocol!

She backed off when I told her in a not so calm way that my girlfriend just crashed with her motorcycle. She gave me a very apologizing look and offered to keep Bear as long as needed.  Why couldn't she just accept it right away and save me precious time?

*

I run through the hallway, finding Dallas, Jaimy, and Hannah waiting outside the ER. Hannah is crying, holding onto Nova's helmet. There is a large crack in it. Jaimy rises when he sees me arrive, patting me on the shoulder.

"Any news?" I ask, short of breath.

"No, not yet. They're keeping us in the dark. Nobody is telling us anything." He looks worried and sits back next to Hannah who starts to sob again, rubbing her fingers over the crack.

The wait is torture. Hannah keeps on sobbing and it's getting on my nerves. Luckily a doctor calls out to us before I snap at her. He explained that they didn't want to take a risk and search for internal bleeding inside her head and broken neck vertebrates. Thank god, they didn't find anything that worries them.

He continues to explain that she has bruises on her face due to the impact. Unfortunately, she only wore her old motor-jacket, causing trauma on her left leg. She has several bruises, cuts, and a large burn on her left thigh, from sliding over the tarmac. Thank God we are allowed to see her, two at the time.

Dallas and I follow a nurse into a cubicle. She reminds us to stay calm in case she wakes up before she removes the curtain to let us in.

I gasp for air and hear Dallas do the same. Her face is black and blue around her left eye and jaw. Spots of blue bruises cover her neck and her leg is a mess.

The burn is cleaned, covered with transparent oil gauze. It looks like the skin was ripped off, leaving the edges shredded. Large and small cuts surround the burn and her knee is swollen.