29 Do we need distance?

Nova

My heart is thumping rapidly inside my chest, because of the consequences of this night and the questions that are clouding my brain.

Is this the right decision?

How am I going to do this with my work?

Will this bring us closer together or drive us further apart?

Matt caresses my cheek with the back of his hand snapping me out of my whirlwind of thoughts. "We should go to get your stuff and Koda."

I swallow harshly and I must be looking like a deer caught in headlights, blabbering, "What? Now? It's three in the morning. Can't we sleep first?"

He leans closer to my face and puts a strand of hair behind my ear, holding the end of it between his fingertips. His breath fanning my lips as he says, "I want you living here with me as soon as possible."

I'm not sure how to respond to all this. My stomach squeezes uncomfortable, giving me the feeling I'm in a roller-coaster that is dropping down too fast. I don't understand the rush, but if this is what he wants, what he needs from me to find the trust that he is seeking, then we will.

I nod slowly, earning a smile from Matt. He places a soft kiss on the corner of my mouth, whispering, "Thank you, love." goosebumps arise on the side of my neck from the way he said it with his deep voice.

He laces his fingers with mine and gets ready to rise. "Come, we should go."

"Wait, Matt?" I say, tugging him back on the couch.

His hand cramps in mine and his answer is strained, "Yes?"

"Can I call Hannah before we leave? I don't want her to have a heart attack barging into the house in the middle of the night."

I feel him relax in an instant. "Sure, love."

I have to ask for his phone because I forgot mine. Hannah picks up after one ring.

"Hello?" she answers unsure, not recognizing the number.

"It's me." is all I say.

She breathes a sigh of relief, "Thank, God! Are you okay? Did he hurt you, Nova? I swear to God. I will kill him if he did!"

My eyes shift to Matt. We are still sitting on the couch and I don't know if he can hear what Hannah is saying. He isn't showing it if he did hear her.

"Hannah, I'm fine. Don't worry about me. I'm calling to tell you we are home in an hour or so. You don't have to wait for me. I'm gonna pack some stuff and head back to Matt's to stay here for a few days. I don't want to scare the hell out of you coming back in the middle of the night, though."

It's quiet for a few seconds. "Uhm... you sure you're okay? He isn't forcing you, is he?"

A small smile unravels on my lips. Sometimes Hannah acts like a mother and I love her for it. "Yeah, I'm fine. And I promise that he isn't, Hannah. I'll see you soon, hun."

"Wait!" she suddenly yells, just in time for me to put the phone back to my ear. "I have someone who wants to talk to you."

No, no, no!

"Oh, I got your coat by the way. Bye sweety."

"No, Hann..." I try, but Dallas's hoars voice comes through before I can tell Hannah not to.

"Hi, angel."

My eyes shift back to Matt, wanting to see his reaction. I'm still not sure if he can hear my conversation. He frowns at my second time greeting and looks curiously at me.