Unwanted Family Ties P4

I stood stunned at Chimera. She had never done this before in the entire eight years I had to live under my roof with her and her mother. She usually left me alone in her room. And last year it was an accident. But she was obviously mad that it happened still. 

"Well, what are you waiting for silly goose?" inquires Chimera snapping me out of my thoughts. My hands shake. The animal in a corner underneath the stool where Chimera usually had her soup and tea. 

"Get it out of my room!" She demanded. "NOW!" The yell echoes across the room. The O sound reverberated in my ears. The rat jumps out and I drop the things I brought. Chimera screams again. The rat leaves the room. I hear the other door open. A swift stride and I know who exactly it was with little questioning and a disgusted scream more worse than Chimera. I hang my head and cover my ears as I hear the detestable tone of my step-mother. 

"You ungrateful little child!" exclaimed Cassandra. "Open your ears! And look me in the eyes. Now!"

Her voice brittle and cold and worthless except for scolding me. 

"I thought I told you wish to stay in this roof, to have money, and your title you have to keep the house absolutely spotless daughter."

She says this like I was just a mere doll to forced to play the part of a scullery maid.  She yanks the collar of my shirt. I could smell evil darkness lurking underneath it. In my head I imagined lice all through her hair and her screaming in anguish. It would be an improvement after all.  

"How many times!" She bellows in my face pulling me closer. I frown. Looking down. 

"Look at me young child!" She orders harshly. I stumbled due to the way she talks to me. "You are to listen to Chimera and do whatever she asks you to take care of  and if I see so much as another rat in this home. You'll sleep with the horses tonight! And don't wake me up again is that clear worthless civilian."

"My name is Lillian," I shouted. "For goodness sakes' you could just use instead of us just calling me stupid names. And that money, that fortune, that title and not even this house belongs to you. It belongs to me. I'm the daughter of Count Jason of Solaria and not even time can deny that!"

She approaches me. I fall onto the floor. I groan. The dress rips as she steps on the ends of it. 

"Don't ever talk back to me again, lavender breath," insists Cassandra. "As for your future, I am your last hope. Your father went to Andros and never returned. He is presumed dead. That's makes everything his mine till you come of age darling and right now you're not of age sweetheart. You have no need to go to the palace. Now get back up to your attic suite and change into something more suitable for dusting and I'll take this."

She tore the shawl off my shoulders. I gasped in horror. Chimera smirks 16 years old now and not bothering to intervene anytime my step-mother overreacted. 

"Please Chimera!" I sighed. "We could be sisters! Real sisters."

"After what you just said?" asked Chimera. She takes a moment to think. Then she shakes her hand replies. "Nah. You're just collateral damage! I don't know how many times I have to say this  mom. She is a pest. We should just totally get rid of her. She will always be a pest."

Cassandra fortunately at this ignores Chimera. She hands me a list of chores. 

"I want this house sparkling by the time I come home is that clear Lillian? And water the garden. The plants are practically crying for rain," demands Cassandra pointing me out the door.