Chapter 12: Probably A Mind Reader

Start from the beginning

Janice bounded in front of the group in her thick winter coat. She let Jeremy hold her bag so she wouldn't have to carry it. She appreciated the lesser amount of weight she had to carry as she ran out the doors before the others. Why did she like the snow so much? Was it because of Jeremy and their almost kiss? It barely snowed during her other missions and it sure did not snow in heaven.

Outside the warm oasis of the mall, the ground was covered in fluffy white snow. It was like a Winter Wonderland. The parking lot housed a little amount cars and the snow material was spread thoroughly on top of the vehicles. Janice grinned and walked with her arms stretched out with her head tilted up to watch the snow blanket her body. The wind ruffled her long brown locks, pushing it around her face. Streetlights gave off the last bit of light as the sun slowly descended behind the mountains and horizon. The air was cold and her body was wet as the snow gently kissed her heated skin. She heard no other sound around her besides the gentle roaring of cars from the street to her left.

This was the one of the little moments when Janice felt truly at peace. Her insides were warm and the world was absolutely right. No one could bother her. Her mind wandered while her body stayed planted in the snow. The colors of orange, pink, and a tinge of yellow from the sunset shown brightly in place of the usual dull blue. It made Janice feel cozy and familiar. She even forgot her death.

Even if she forgave her dad, it didn't mean that she would ever forget what he had done to her or her mother. Janice hasn't seen her mother since she's been in heaven. She never heard of her.

A warm hand slid over Janice's shoulder, bringing her out of her world. She smiled at the comfort the hand gave her. She turned slowly with a smile on her face, expecting to see her missionary friend. Her eyes met the striking emerald ones instead of smooth brown. Her smile faltered a little. Jay was looking at her with a small smile of his own. He didn't seem to notice her hesitation and spoke to her. "Janice," He started smoothly, "we're going to get hot chocolate before we head home. You wanna walk or drive?" Jay's smile turned into a smirk.

Janice felt her smile widen as she replied, "I'm in."

The two turned to their designated cars. Janice felt the coldness as Jay's hand left her shoulder but was filled with warmth once again as they walked closely together. Janice left Jay and jumped in Jeremy's waiting car. The drivers of the four cars and Janice felt left out. Everyone had their own car except for her. Sidney had a cute little red boxcar. Peter had a sleek mustang, bad for the weather, nice in looks. Janice was catching a ride in Jeremy's/Carrie's Cadillac. But it was Jay's truck that caught her eye.

Jay's truck was a four door thick-wheeled kind of truck. It was a perfect dream for any guy. The bed was long and had a cover. Even in the thick snow, someone could see the delicate maroon paint job was. Janice hadn't seen the truck in the student parking lot that morning or afternoon at school.

She had her face pressed up to the driver's window, trying to figure out what they were saying. Jeremy nodded slowly and Sidney pointed her thumb at herself. Jay made a face and said something. Sidney turned to her grandson and slapped the back of his head. It didn't take a genius to know that Jay said something smart. They all nodded at each other and walked to their cars. Janice made a guilty noise before scrambling back in her seat. Just as she sat down properly, Jeremy opened his door and plopped in his seat.

"So we're going to his little coffee shop down the road." Jeremy told Janice. She nodded a little too over excitedly. He looked at her. "What's wrong with you?"

"Nothing!"

"What ever..." Jeremy rolled his eyes and reached to turn the key in the ignition. His eyes landed on a footprint near the gearshift. He gave Janice an exasperated look. "Really?"