"what happened?" he asked softly holding onto her hand for comfort.

"he met my mom when he was twenty eight and she was only sixteen. but according to everyone i've asked about him - that would talk about him that is - they were truly in love," she moved the photograph and swiped a finger over the figures in it.

"she worked as his assistant over the summer holidays, she went to work for him in birmingham, he was a journalist and she'd just go everywhere with him, you know take his calls and whatever, and i guess spending so much time together led to them."

she put the photograph back in the box, "but he was already married. to some woman whos dad owned the company he worked for. they were separated when he and my mom began dating but they still had to keep it quiet for his jobs sake." she inhaled deeply preparing herself to carry on.

"but i guess it's kind of hard to keep a pregnancy quiet isn't it?" she forced a laugh, "they were both over the moon to be having a child together but i guess his wife wasn't. he tried to divorce her but she wouldn't let him and threatened to ruin his career and his life. my mom was such a good person, she couldn't handle being a home wrecker and destroying his life, so she just up and left without telling him where she was going, she only took this box and a small bag full of his shirts as that's all she could fit into with the belly and everything."

she stroked the back of johns hand continuing, "when she died, she left this box on my bed, it has all their photographs in, just trinkets from when they were together. my mum wanted me to go and find him so i wouldn't be alone, she left me some things to show me where he lives and whatever, easier ways to find him i guess but i haven't been able to bring myself to actually going to see him. i don't think i can bring myself to do it."

"why not?" john inquired.

"what if he doesn't want me? what if he hates my mom for what she did? what if he hates me, i mean i'm the reason she had to leave in the first place?" a single tear rolled down her cheek but she quickly wiped it embarrassed to be crying again.

"penny," he whispered pulling her in to hug him, his arms wrapping around her protectively, "he'd be so lucky to ever even know of you. look how happy he is in that photo, he looks over the moon to just be having you. and so him seeing how you've grown up, so strong, and smart and beautiful, he'd be crazy not to love you. don't you think he deserves to know what happened, with everything?"

she pulled back wiping her eyes and nodding her head, "he does deserve to know i guess."

she looked through the box again and pulled out an envelope decorated in doodles and opened it.

there was a letter inside, "this is the equivalent to those books i read you know?" she laughed lightly, "this letter is what makes me know that it's real life too - the love story, it's real and it can happen."

she unfolded the letter and read it aloud to john,

"sabrina, my love.

i can't take my mind off of you, those beautiful eyes, and that smile that could brighten the entire world if given the chance.