Part 135

Julie's POV

I suddenly didn't know how to respond. How do you respond to something like that? So I decided to go a different route with things

"Hey! You want some McDonald's?" I asked cheerfully, a bit too cheery. Sophie being a nine year old with an attention spam of a five year old seemed to forget her earlier confession

"YAAA!" She squealed, jumping up and down in her seat. I gave her my best smile as I drove to the nearest fast food drive thru. What am I going to do? I need to speak to my parents as soon as. I ordered her a kids meal and drove us back home. The car was filled with music and a happy Sophie. I was consumed with worry, fear, and close to breaking down any second.

"Come on we're home Soph" I sniffed feeling my emotions trying to get the better of me; I quickly climbed out of the car not wanting her to see me this way.

"Wait up!" She called out balancing her meal along with her school bag trying her best to catch up to me. I waited for her by the door opening it wide as she ran straight to the kitchen. I heard my parents greeting her and asking about me. I couldn't face anyone; I went straight up to my bedroom. Today's activities catching up to me, suddenly the tears that have been fighting to escape made their appearance, my sobs escaping my lips, as my cries grew louder. Crying into my pillow; my body physically shaking as the words of Sophie's voice echoed in my head; repeating like a broken record. 'She said she was my Mum' like a mosquito buzzing in my ear - all my fears that I had been putting to the back of my head coming out. 'Mum' she's found her Mum.

"Bubba?" I didn't notice Mam had come into my room until I felt her pull me into her comforting body. Hugging me tightly, rocking me back and forth, as she tried to figure out my vulnerability

"Baby, what's wrong?" Her voice was trembling, she was worried. She was close to tears just watching me breakdown in her arms. I shook my head not being able to voice my words, all I could do in this moment was cry my heart out. I knew what was coming next, I knew what would happen. I couldn't neglect Sophie from her Mum, She'll eventually walk out of our lives and never look back at me.

"Shhhh" She laid us both down getting me comfortable in her arms whilst I hiccupped and sobbed away. I must have cried for hours in her arms, but the one thing she didn't do was leave me alone; she stayed by my side the entire time as I tried to control my emotions.

"S-Sophie" I hiccuped trying to string a sentence together, my brain coming to a halt. Freezing - no words registering.

"Sophie what?" She asked, gently stroking my hair out of my damp face

"Sophie's M-Mum" I sniffed, finally being able to catch my breath and speak without needing a minute or two to control my heavy breathing

"Sophie's Mum was at school Mam, she's going to take her" I cried against her chest

"Baby I need you to relax for a minute and tell us what happened" She ran her hand along my back in hopes to calm me down; it was working. It always seemed to do the job, my parents touch always gentle, never rough, and never angry. Quite different from what I was used to.

"When I picked up Sophie today-" I sniffed, pulling myself together and sitting up so I could get a better look of her

"-Some lady was talking to her and I asked her who that was she said that woman told her she was her Mum" I said in one go, I took a deep breath as Mam absorbed the information I just dumped on her

"Let's go down and have a chat with Soph" She said standing up and pulling me along with her

"You weren't wearing this to school" She said looking at me with a questioning look