15 = rumors

SATURDAY, AUGUST 8TH, 1987

brandy's point of view

"i just don't understand why we have different names." naomi sighed.

we had just gotten done shopping for outfits to wear to my birthday party and were sitting on the curb outside of the mall eating orange creamsicle popsicles.

"i know right? brandy and kayla are no where close to kennedy and naomi."

naomi shook her head and licked the orange drip running down the popsicle before it could reach the stick, "and i live with a whole fake family, but apparently im their daughter? it just doesn't make sense."

"i really got stuck with an aunt who's an addict." i rolled my eyes.

"when are they gonna get here?" she impatiently asked, referring to the corey's and jason. she wanted to so badly to be introduced to them so i called the three of them up and told them to meet us at the mall.

"right now." i stood up to throw my popsicle stick into the trash as i saw the three boys make their way towards us.

"so this is the famous kayla!" haim excitedly announced.

"this is her." i giggled motioning towards my best friend before grabbing my shopping bags.

the four of them introduced themselves and then we were off, walking aimlessly around the outdoor shops.

"so did you pick out your outfit for your birthday?" jason asked me.

i nodded and held up the bag, "it's in here. no looking!" i slapped his hand away before he could peek in the bag.

"oh come on, i just want a little hint to know what i'm up against that night."

"up against?" naomi asked.

"for my entire life i've always thought of myself as a fashion genius, icon, if you will. but ever since i met brandy," jason shook his head sarcastically, "she's been beating me at my own game."

i let out a laugh, "and it's gonna stay that way." i ran ahead of the group a little until my body almost collided with a magazine stand.

my eyes travelled down to two magazines in particular, one called teen set and the other, teen beat.

two different photos of my face on both of the magazine covers.

big yellow letters under my picture read
"WHY BRANDY IS A WILD PARTY GIRL" and "THE TRUTH ON HER BOY DRAMA."

naomi, jason and the corey's caught up to me and read the magazine cover over my shoulder."

"a wild party girl." naomi laughed, picking up her own copy of the magazine to flip through.

i found my article on page 14 and falsely typed up words about my life weren't the only thing staring back at me. the paparazzi photo of me from the other night, passed out in jason's arms leaving the loft party was printed onto the page.

"damn, how fast do they get these pictures from the press?"

"here's one of you two eating." naomi pointed to a picture of jason and i through the windows of La Strada.

"that was literally like three days ago!" i exclaimed and then started reading the article.

"After Brandy Alexander performed a cover version of "You Don't Own Me" by Lesley Gore at The Lost Boys cast party she was seen leaving literally passed out in Jason Patric's arms! We don't know exactly the reason behind this, was it a random shock of over-tiredness on the young actress" - i began to read the rest out loud, "or did she have a bit too much to drink of that punch? it wouldn't be a surprise to many who personally know her, given the rumors of her aunt who is apparently intoxicated 24/7. better ask her newest boy toy jason patri- what the fuck?" i yelled.

my loud, indecent choice of words caused other mall-goers to glare over at me and my group of friends.

jason chuckled and took the magazine out of my hands, "they always talk shit in these things."

"yeah!" corey haim spoke up and pointed to a photo of him and feldman in the magazine he was holding, "right here it says we got into a fight and our friendship is over. but it isn't."

"i think the last time we fought was because i ate the last fry." feldman looked like he was in deep thought.

"you ate the last three fries." haim scrunched his eyebrows angrily.

"oh my bad! how could i?" feldman sarcastically said.

"no decent human would do that. you're supposed to each get one and the split the third in half." haim intensely explained the rules of eating french fries to corey but i got bored of their conversation and pouted at jason.

"it's okay, brandy. i know you weren't black out drunk." he rubbed my back, "you just threw up like you were." he started to laugh and i smacked his arm.

"hey! i was dealing with a very real existential crisis in that moment and my body didn't know how to handle it."

"you wanna talk about existential crisis'." naomi sighed in agreement to my words. she leaned up against the magazine stand which was apparently less weight than her and before anyone could do anything about it, it toppled over with a loud crash on to the sidewalk.

a nearby worker from another store started to run over to us to pick up the stand and all the magazines that fell off of it.

"i just can't believe they'd say that about my aunt in a public magazine." in my mind, it was perfectly fine to critique aunt maggie and her crazy lifestyle given the fact that i've only met this woman about a week ago. but for others to put out their opinion on her based off of my own actions was rude.

naomi scoffed, "yeah your aunt." she put air quotes around the word "aunt."

i sent her a look that read "don't say that, you're going to blow our cover of being time travelers and they won't understand."

i tossed the second magazine i had in my hand that i didn't even get to read on to the pile of the other magazines and newspapers.

the five of us quickly walked away in the other direction with the voice of the annoyed guy who had to pick up the magazine stand muttering, "stupid kids."

__

a double update !
stay tuned for the next upcoming chapters, we finally get to the good stuff at brandy's birthday party ;))