◈ Chapter 16: Thunder Festival ◈

Start from the beginning

Bright and green leaves colored the trees of Pespeora Province, a lone region in the northern continent. Due to the high levels of humidity and moisture, it was subjected to various thunderstorms throughout the year. Half a year it would rain, and the rest would be sunny. However, at the conjunction of those two events of the year, was the Thunder Festival that served as a mediator to celebrate the end of a season and the start of another. Beminster was the central village where those celebrations were held, located a few kilometers away from Thunder Peak, a huge mountain that was inhabited by the thunderbirds.

Once you arrived at the gates of the village, you were taken aback by the lack of people and decorations. While it wasn't a worldwide event knew by everyone, you could remember clearly that it at least received a thousand of visitors.

"Did they cancel the festival?..." you wondered in confusion.

"Well, I can see a few festivities still held inside..." Coco pointed to various stands of food and games.

"Hm. I guess you're right..."

Even thought it was different from childhood, a wave of familiarity hit you once you passed the gates of Beminster with the Heavenly King following after you. You drooled at the sight of Berry Clams, clams filled with blueberries. The savor was at its peak once they opened to reveal the fruits. You did window shopping with Coco, looking at the newest displays they could offer in terms of foods or utensils.

You found a bar that offered takoyaki, and decided to stop there for dinner. Taking a seat on one of the stools they offered, you ordered your food with the Gentleman.

"It's weird. There's less activities to do then my last visits..." you mumbled.

"That's because the thunderbirds won't make an appearance this year...Just like the previous times" told the barman behind the counter, eliciting a confused look from your part.

"They won't?" Coco inquired. "And it isn't the first time that happens?"

The villagers had witnessed the signs over a decade. While the Thunder Festival was held each five years, the thunderbirds inhabited the mountain all the time. Few species would even descend to participate in the daily day business of the village once in a while. However, those sights became rarer, until they completely disappeared. It was also impossible to approach Thunder Peak because of the bad weather there. Dangerous thunderstorms that no human should ever think of stepping into.