Passing Time

With the weeks and months ticking by life was so different for all members of the family, especially for Stef and Callie. The younger adult had not only reconciled with her mother and Jude, but she had also reconciled with Robert. Even if the older man was not Jude or Callie's biological father he still wanted to very much be apart of their lives and was grateful to make amends with both kids he had known and partly raised since birth. Stef too was pretty happy about it for she was well aware all her kids really did need those relationships, Frankie as well. 

That had been another thing for Glenn had reached out to Frankie apologizing for his behavior in Nevada and for not wanting to be in her life. Truth was he was very proud of the woman and the cop she had become. He could see she was strong and ambitious just like her mother and he admired that. Fortunately the curly haired girl who was naturally forgiving by nature forgave him and the two had hung out a few times and kept up via phone. Frankie had to admit it was nice to get to know him and Stef could also see how happy it made her daughter. Just the fact that all her kids were happy was enough to keep Stef going and let her know she was doing something right.

Of course her and Lena were doing well as her wife was now promoted to Superintendent of the Sacramento school district which was a bigger job then she ever dreamed of. That too made Stef happy and she herself would be retiring in a year. That of course was bittersweet and she had reservations since she loved seeing her daughter at work and keeping an eye on her. The blonde however, was well aware she had to let her kids spread their wings which all  of them were doing successfully and the fact that she got to see it made her heart explode.

As Stef was spending the day with Sophie at the park the cop was grateful that she was getting the chance to know her granddaughter and spend time with her.  Sophie really was her pride and joy and in some ways it was almost like she was getting a second chance with Callie for the little girl was the spitting image. Even down to the little bangs that always went over her eyes and the cute wide smile she had. But this was different. This was very different for the blonde was a different person, her life was different, circumstances were different and she was no longer that wild, impatient and rebellious woman. Maybe it took decades for her to get to this place but she finally had no matter how painful the journey. At times she wondered how she even made it this far, how she managed to pick up her life after failing so many years, and how she managed to marry someone like Lena. Was it always supposed to happen or happen in this way? Or did her choices steer her in this direction. No one knew and most likely never would.

"Vanilla grandma." Sophie said looking up at her grandmother and smiling. 

"Yeah you like it mm?"

"Yes!"

"Me too my love."

"Room for one more on that bench?" She suddenly heard seeing Callie walking toward them as the cop let out a wide smile.

"Oh there is always room for you love. How you doing?" 

"Good. How's sweetpea?" She asked as Sophie giggled at her but continued to eat her ice cream. "I imagine good. Vanilla is her favorite."

"Yours too sweets. She saw that ice cream man and it was game over." The blonde said laughing at Callie did as well. 

"She knows what's good.  But you guys had a good day? You didn't mind watching her?"

"My love don't ask me such silly questions. We had a great day and you know I love being with her. We watched Sesame Street, played some games, came to the park took a nap. It was a nice day."

"I'm glad. I really appreciate you being able to take her at the last minute. Sometimes these calls come in and...." Placing her hand on her daughters thigh Stef smiled warmly at her and trying to calm her nerves.

"It's fine sweets. I haven't used up hardly any sick days at work so I'm happy to use them with her." The blonde could only kiss the top of the little girls head as Callie let out a wide smile. She could see over the past few months that she had been here how much her mother really had changed. She was affectionate most of the time, kind, warm and patient.  It really was a far cry from her behavior when Callie was a kid and even a teenager. The blonde had matured and had become the mother the young adult always wanted.  "You know love I wanted to thank you."

"For what?"

"For this. For letting me get to know your daughter, for hanging out together, and coming over for meals. And for giving me another chance. These past few months have meant alot to me. I hope you know that."

"I know mama." Callie said as she smiled warmly at her mother. If she was honest it meant a great deal to her too more then she could ever realize. Deep down she  always knew she needed to forgive her mother and let her back in her life. But it had been so hard, it and felt impossible and she just wasn't sure when and if she could ever do it. All the hate, all the anger had to be let go and she had to learn how to let it go before she could forgive her. "I'm happy we, that well we have gotten to this point in our relationship."

"Yeah? Has it been hard for you to trust me now? Be honest babe."

"Well I won't say it was easy. It was difficult and I still have my days.  I do."

"That's understandable. It really is and makes sense. I let you down your entire life so I don't expect you to just up and trust me instantly. I know it will take time and that's ok. I just hope I am really able to earn all your trust one day love. I really do. But there is no rush and I would never ever do that to you. You feel what you feel and you are entitled to all those feelings. Understand?"

"I do. And I know relationships take time. Especially when they are healing."

"Of course babe. So you take all the time you need. Please."

Callie could only smile at her mother as the two held hands yet again while Sophie enjoyed her ice cream. If there was one thing Stef wanted it was for her and Callie to have a good relationship. It had been her dream and it had been something she prayed for for years. Now that it was happening slowly she couldn't ask for anything more.  Plus the fact that Lena was right that the girl would eventually come back to her even if it was years later.

As the two made their way back to the blondes home they happily cooked dinner together, along with dessert while listening to music and chatting. This was something that became sort of a routine for them and it was one of the most important things they could do. Lena knew that as well and she often stayed at work longer when she knew Callie came over after work. It was important for her as well to let the two bond and continue to work on their relationship for she knew it was needed. 

Sometimes Stef and Callie would sit outside and enjoy the warm air together after putting Sophie to bed and they didn't always talk. It wasn't always about talking and at times it was just about being in each others company.  Callie as time went on knew she would never fully grasp why her mother behaved how she did when she was a kid but she didn't need to.  Now that she was an adult she understood it a little better, maybe not 100 percent, but she tried. She really did and any questions she had Stef was happy to answer.

Diane too was grateful the two were mending their broken relationship for she had tried for years. She really had and it was finally paying off. It was all paying off for everyone really even Fran and Debbie who had continued to remain in the blonde's life and her kids. 

Finally the family Stef had always wanted had come together,her life was complete and she had found her home. A home that consisted of all her children, her wife, her mother's and her ex who still remained her friend. It was a home she fought so hard to find, and it would remain with her for the rest of her life. That in itself was worth all the pain, and heartache and never again would she ever need to deal with that childhood trauma. Ever for she could breathe and as she laid down next to her wife that night Lena held her so close. Closer then she ever had.

"I'm finally happy baby. I'm finally happy and content." She whispered to her wife.

"I know you are baby. And you deserve it. Don't ever forget that."

"I won't my love. And I love you Lena."

"I love you too baby. Forever."

-------------------------------

One more chapter left!