What Could Have Been

NOTE: I decided to tackle on a few more chapters. Many people wanted to see the adult kids bond/family bond and Stef bond with Callie. Enjoy!
_________________

As Stef sat on the beach with her kids she could only smile. It was the first time she would ever go out with all three of them and if she was honest it was making her emotional. More emotional then she ever had been including turning 50. Her life was coming together, maybe even full circle to some extent and she was just so grateful for it all. The fact that her and Callie were at the beginning of mending their relationship was a miracle. The fact that she also moved back to California with her fiance and little girl was also another miracle. The blonde was almost speechless for she never ever expected any of it. Maybe it was a good thing that the girl had left for a few years and maybe the distance helped regardless of how painful it had been.

Seeing Diane and meeting her wife and little boy had been another surprise. Stef could see how happy her ex fiance really was and it was what Stef had wanted for her always. Of course she couldn't help but grill Diane about her life but it was to be expected and Diane knew it came from a place of love.

FLASHBACK

"Your family is beautiful love. Your wife and your little boy. I'm so happy for you sweets." Stef said as her and Diane sat outside on the patio as the party continued.

"Thanks Stef that's nice of you to say. It really is."

"She's good to you yes? She's affectionate, tells you she loves you? Treats you right?"

"Always." Diane said rather bashfully.

"Ok. Not be be nosy or all in your business but you know I just need to check. Check in on my first girl."

"Was I?" She teased sipping on her drink and Stef laughed. "Was I your first girl?"

"I think you know you were silly. You were and always will be Di."

"I know you were too.  And I know for a fact Lena is good to you and for you."

"You weren't bad for me love. Never."

"I enabled many things. I didn't know how to really tell you to stop and went along many times. I was afraid of loosing you so I guess I let things happen. And I didn't know how to help you."

"I know sweetheart. I know and you put up with too much of my shit. And I took advantage of who you were."

"Not on purpose."

"No but I was an ass. I ruined a really good thing." Diane could only stare at the blonde as she gently grabbed her hand holding it.

"You didn't ruin anything. Things happen for a reason Stef. They do and I refuse to blame you or me. We both played a role in our relationship not working. And I think we were supposed to met as kids, we were supposed to be there for each other. Can you imagine if  we had not met?"

"God no."

"I think my father would have killed me had it not been for you and Sharon would have hurt you worse. I really do. So I don't ever regret meeting one of the most important people in my life and still is. You loved me when I didn't know what it was, you took care of  me from the first day we met and you allowed me to be a mother to your kids. All of that made me who I am and I love you for it Stef. We had a beautiful love at times and that's what I remember."

"You were my world Di. You were." The blonde said with tears in her eyes.

"I know. And you were mine Stef. And our worlds got bigger if you didn't notice."Diane said smiling as the blonde returned it.