Wondering

"Enjoying the day honey?" Diane asked Callie as the two went for burgers and milkshakes. Taking a walk on the familiar boardwork that her and Stef frequented many times when the kids were little it only gave her a sense of nostalgia. How could it not for being back in California hit her with her fair share of memories more then she realized. Of course Boston was good and she enjoyed it but California had become her home for more than twenty years and leaving had not been that easy. Not by any means.

Part of the woman was looking forward to having Callie around but the other part was saddened by the declining relationship between her and Stef that didn't seem to be getting any better.  It was difficult for her as well that Callie wanted to take her last name and wanted no part whatsoever of her mother. That hurt Diane for she knew how much Stef loved her daughter.  Truth was the blonde adored all her children beyond words.

As her and Callie made their way down the boardwalk images  of when the babies were little ran through her mind as if it was almost happening in front of her right now. Callie would run down the boardwalk faster than anything and sometimes Stef would chase her or carry her on her shoulders. Jude always stayed close to Diane and often fell asleep snuggled on her shoulder as she would hold Stef's hand close. Did she still care for her? Yes, and more then she realized for their summer together sometimes caught her off guard and she often found herself daydreaming about the blonde again. She couldn't though. There was no way because that relationship was over and never to be restarted. Ever. Was she missing it, was she almost grieving it the last few months? Yes and sometimes she wondered if Stef was as well at times. Or maybe she wasn't.

"Yeah I am mom thanks for this. And thanks for coming." Callie said as the older woman felt the teens hand tightly in hers. Glancing at her Diane could only smile as the girls hair had grown significantly and the older she got the more she resembled a younger Stef with her cut off shorts. Truth was Callie had no idea and Diane wasn't going to tell her.

"Anytime honey. So tell me what's on your mind?MM?"

"Mm nothing really."

"No? How are you and Grace?"

"Good." She blushed as Diane smiled yet again.

"Just good? I get no more info then that?"

"Well we like each other always have. But she's good and we are good. I make sure to treat her right you know?"

"I'm sure you do sweetheart. Grace is a very lucky girl to have you."

"Thanks. But um Di if you don't mind I told her she can visit me in Boston. I mean if it's ok with you?"

"It's fine with me honey but you know we will have to set some ground rules right?"

"Yeah I figured."

"I mean we will have to set some rules in general Cals. But I have faith in you honey I always have. But no drinking, no partying, and ..

 "No sex in the house." The teen blurted out nonchalantly as the older woman looked to her. Of course she was pretty sure  Callie had been sexually active for awhile but she always wanted her to be safe.

"I want you to be safe. You and Grace are right?"

"Yeah. I remember everything you told me Mom and keep telling me. I swear it. We are safe."

"Ok. It's important baby. I didn't have anyone to tell me these things."

"So you kinda guessed?"

"In some way yes. Your mom ..I mean yes I guessed."  Catching herself Diane looked to Callie as the girl made no eye contact whatsoever. "But I'm glad you have listened to me honey. It's important. Very for you and Grace."