Defensive

With Jude deciding to spend Christmas with his mother, Frankie and Lena as hard as it was he also decided to head to Boston the day after to spend the rest of his vacation and New Years with Callie.  Yes the decision was hard, very, because no matter how much his mother told him never to feel guilty he still did. Jude still harbored a tremendous amount of guilt and still felt torn. Even with Lena telling him it was ok, a person whom he had really, really grown to trust, it was still difficult and once he got to Boston it would prove to be even more challenging. Of course Stef was sad and would miss her son but she would never, ever, make him feel bad about it. Ever and she knew and was grateful that Diane would take care of him for she always had.

"Stef it's no issue. Jude is welcome anytime. You all are." Diane said as she spoke with the blonde over the phone to confirm the holiday plans and Jude's arrival. Of course Callie was excited beyond words but Diane could sense the hesitation in her ex fiances voice. Stef could never hide from her ever and both women knew that but she admired how strong the blonde was. She always had.

"Thanks Di. I really appreciate it  but I want you to know I gave him money. He has his ATM card on him so it will cost you nothing."

"Nonsense. I have money Stef." She said pouring coffee in her mug.

"Di, you are doing enough and as usual you are going above and beyond. Please . And I also noticed Callie is barely using the money I have in the account for her."

"I told her to save it for now Stef." 

"Diane."

"Stef. It's fine. She has a job so she uses that on her expenses. And I've been putting money in her account too." All Stef could do was shake her head for this was typical Diane. It really was and she couldn't help who she was and the cop knew that.  It was one of the reasons she had always loved her. Lena however was very similar.  "And I just wanted you to know she is working very hard."

"Is she?" 

"Yes. Almost too hard. I've told her not to work so many hours when school is in session but she is pretty determined. And she is doing well in school. She is going to be a vet Stef."

"That's my girl." The blonde said smiling for she knew it was the little girl's dream. Always had been and she was happy to hear her daughter was on a good path and following her goals. Maybe it was better she was away from her despite how much that hurt.

"How is Frankie? Did she pass the academy yet?"

"Oh she is well on her way. Very soon"

"She seems like a really sweet girl Stef. I hope one day, well I hope to meet her one day."

"I'd love you to meet her. She does have your name after all. I named her after a good person I hope you know that."

"Thanks. That means alot. But um, I will let you go. Jude has my number right?"

"He does. Merry Christmas love."

"Merry Christmas Stef."

With that Jude flew out the day after Christmas as Callie met him at the airport and hugged her brother tighter then ever. However despite how happy she was it would not prevent one of their biggest fights that not even Diane could mend.

--------------------------------

"I didn't realize how cold it gets here." Jude said as Callie warmed up some hot cocoa for her brother as the two shared another morning breakfast together.  The young teen had been in Boston for a few days and felt a bit of homesickness for he had never left California.